Exit

.prproj export from After Effect doesn't recognize masks into Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Forgive my bad English please.
My goal is to import into Premiere Pro, an export in .prproj from After Effects.
The problem is that my final composition imported under Premiere does not take into account the masks applied on After Effects.
I tried to apply the masks on the final composition and also on the dailies, but Premiere does not want to recognize them.
The only solution I've found is to apply the masks directly to Premiere, but that doesn't really work for me.
Have you ever faced this problem? I'm french so you can respond in french if you are too 🙂
Thank you

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem , Import and export , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is to be expected. These systems work completely differently across the apps - like many other things - and there is no way to transfer them back and forth smoothly in a form they can be edited. Everything else may simply hinge on how and where the masks are used, stuff like blending modes and compositing options, effecst used and so on. Without detailed info on your project we can't realyl tell you what you may need to change in your workflow. generally, though, it would probably make the most sense if you made up your mind which steps need to be done in which program rather than mingling everything and making a mess.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you answer. Sorry for the lack of informations.

Okay, so I'm editing my short movie on Adobe Premiere Pro with proxys. The editing is not finished but I want to put vfx on some rushs.

My worflow is the following :

1). Editing my short on Premiere with proxys

2). Then modify rushs on After Effects. To do that, I create an .ae project which in I import my original rushs, then modify them, and then export the project on .prproj.

3). I import my .prproj from After into Premiere and place the final composition into my Premiere's timeline.

My first goal is to modify my rushs on After and not add them into the render queue (cause the colorist ask me, he didnt want me to encoded them). So the solution I found is to export my project as a .pr.proj.

My final goal is to export and xml of my Premiere's project to import it into Davinci Resolve with all the effects applies.

I'm testing the workflow but I'm not sure that is the good way to do it. If u have recommandations I will be happy to hear them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a terrible workflow, honestly. This will never work. You create a rough cut in Premiere in a way that bits can easily be replaced and have enough heads and tails for trimming and then selectively transfer clips via DynamicLink or by rendering out placeholders on which your AE work is based. This is also done in a way so that stuff can at any point in time be substituted. The requirement by your colorist to not render anything also makes no sense. Why should that even be an issue? AE and Premiere fully support color management and exporting to 16 bit and 32 bit formats and you would want to grade your VFX as well for consistent appearance. I realyl think you need to have a team meeting and sort things out. Again, none of this has anything to do with the programs, your workflow is just not good.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay I understand, I just want to clarify : Im still student, I don't have the reflexes and the good way to approach the worflow. And my colorist is not even a real colorsit, she's a friend. My short is an auto financed work. I don't have a team that I can have a meeting with. There's me, and my friend.  We are here to learn from you, professionnals.

Im testing something else :

1). Editing my short on Premiere with proxys

2). Relink proxys that I want to modify to original rushs.

3). Replace by After Effect composition

I know it's the logical way to do it, but at this point I don't know what to do.

Cause .ae projects can't be open in Resolve. Do I have to use the render queue in After ? Or media encoder render queue ?

My originals rushs are:

format : .MXF

codec: H.264 - MPEG-4 AVC

resolution: 2048*1080

ips: 25

The goal is to keep the originals rushs uncompressed once I used After on them.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines