Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

"Invalid Menu Operation" When I try to do almost anything

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have been working with Adobe After Effects for a while now and I have never encountered a problem until today. I opened it this morning no problem, did some work, closed that file. I then opened a new file and suddenly I am encountering this error everywhere. I can do everything fine when the program first starts, but when I open the file, after about 30 seconds to a minute, it suddenly gives me this error everywhere. Any keyboard shortcut or attempt to click on one of the dropdown menus at the top or right click the composition or footage or anything just brings up a dialogue box that says "AfterEffects Warning - Invalid Menu Operation". I can't do anything. Why the heck is this suddenly happening?

For specs, I am running an Intel i7, Nvidia GTX 1660 TI, and 64 gbs of ram. 

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020
Update Ok, so I'm beginning to understand the problem a little more I think. The majority of the time, the problem seems to happen if I try to open After Effects by opening a project. For example, if I try to open After Effects through a dynamic link from Premiere, the project opens but I immediately encounter the issue. Likewise, if I open After Effects first and then open the project I want from inside After Effects, the probability of the problem occuring drops dramatically. In this fashion, ...

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020
Solving the problem: 1 - Open your Creative Clound Desktop 2 - Search for After Effects 3 - Holding ALT + CTRL + SHIFT (win) or OPTION + SHIFT + CMND (mac), click "open" 4 - A message "Are you sure you want to delete your preferences file?" Will open. Click "OK".

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021
Yep I can confirm this too. I was working on a project when my ISP cut the service for maintenance. My router kept trying to connect and so AE was stuck in some loop waiting to get a go ahead from Creative Cloud client. I disabled my Ethernet port and tethered my phone instead and it works fine again. Try this before deleting your preferences!

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021
I'm getting the same error. I'm in a questionable country with questionable internet. I tried a lot of different things (trash preferences, delete all scripts including built-in ones, reinstall, block incoming connections to AfterFX.exe). In the end, connecting to a U.S. VPN helped solve the problem for me. Helped general sign-in issues as well. Not ideal or convenient, but at least it works.

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021
I updated AE and that did it.

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be late for some and sorry i didn't come across this problem sooner to help you all save your preferences.

I too was having that invalid error problem and my last resort was to delete my preferences. i got the idea to see if adobe offered a way to save preferences. I couldn't find any but I found a utility by Puget Systems that does and it solved that error for me. It's a free windows .bat utility that is extremely simple that follows the guidelines that Adobe has provided to backup, clear, and restore application preferences for Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom Classic, Premiere Pro, and After Effects.

First using their utility I deleted my after effects preferences then i opened up after effects and i confirmed that my preferences had been cleared because there was no list of projects to choose to open. I choose open project and using the explorer window that opened I found the most recent project, opened it, and then closed it and exited after effects completely.

Then i used the utility to restore my preferences. I opened after effects and the first thing i noticed was all the projects were listed again so i figured it must have resored them but i had to find out if the error was going to still come back. So i opened up the most recent project i saved and made a change that usually brings up that error and voila! no more error message.  It worked!

here is the link to check it out: www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/Utility-to-backup-restore-or-clear-Adobe-CC-preferences-1...

If for some reason the link is removed just go to google and just search: Puget Systems Utility-to-backup-restore-or-clear-Adobe-CC-preferences

I'm pretty sure you will find it. Good luck and hope it works for you too! If that error message comes back by some chance I will post here to let others know.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same invalid opperation error on any click of a menu after creating a new project. Open and closed a few times with no luck. read past somthing in this tread I saw VPN mentioned and other discussions about issues with ISP disconnections. I remote to my office right now and was using a OpenVPN connection. After clossing that connection and reoping AE, it's working as expected. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just run into this pretty annoying problem. I believe the cause of the problem is your internet access. It seems that adobe is storing some prefs/data online. Once I reestablished the internet connection using my mobile as a hotspot (having a cable internet problem) everything works as it should. 

jeva

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated AE and that did it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply restart the PC, the error resolved(invalid menu operation)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I did is cleaning the TEMP folders (I work on PC) and restart the computer and it fixed the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

GUESS WHAT?!

I just restarted the PC and viola! Problem solved! OMG!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines