• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Preserve Constant Vertex and Feather Count when Editing Masks" not yielding expected/desired result

Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a mask w/ a dozen vertices that I've keyframed across my timeline. After adjusting the vertices I realize I only need the top half of them to do the job. I want to delete the bottom half that are unnecessary, which I have never needed to do before. I knew there was a preference that was related to this, so I checked the option "Preserve Constant Vertex and Feather Count when Editing Masks" and verified that it was UN-checked, since I am intending to change the vertex count. To my surprise when I selected the points I wish to remove, they were only removed until the next keyframe of the mask path. I tried a few different spots along the timeline but observed the same behaviour. I checked the AE reference manual (https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using//animating-shape-paths-masks.html#designate_the_first_ve...) and it included a note that confirmed what I expected to happen.

DKins_0-1668441537848.png

There are no specific mentions of keyframes so I take the phrase "throughout the duration of the path." to include across keyframes. I checked YouTube but found nothing relevant as a stand-alone topic. I also checked this support forum to see if anybody had discovered a bug that was impacting this functionality. So, is this user error or a bug? Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since the option was enabled when you created the mask, the info is stored in the keyframes already. This has never really worked any different. The relevant option really just comes into play when creating the mask, but it does not affect existing keyframes. I agreee that it's confusing and may need to be rewritten...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines