• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAM Preview not caching, sluggish previews, NEW MAC STUDIO

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a brand new M1 Ultra Mac Studio. Also need to note I am running AE in Rosetta as I haven't moved over all my plugins yet as I have other older projects to complete before I do so.

Worked absolutely flawlessly for a few days, and now all of a sudden I'm having major cache issues, I can't preview anything because it only caches 5 or 6 frames and then starts to playback.

I have emptied my cache, I have barely anything running. (even if I did have something else running, it doesn't explain why it was fine for the last few days and then now has issues?)

Things are now taking a lot longer to load as well, I have a comp with just one effect on it, and I get a second delay in loading it when before it was smooth and seemless with multiple effects scrubbing.

Now this is NOT a new issue, I have had the exact same issues in the past with other macs over the last few years. Sometimes I might open up a massive project on other imac pros, macbook pros, etc in the past. These projects might run smoothly for a few hours, sometimes a few days, and then all of a sudden will absolutely grind just to give me a preview or one frame.

Again this is not and CAN not be an issue with the cache. These projects in the past, some were brand new projects with no cache, some had cache removed and still ran smooth, there is no correlation between the cache and the reasons why it starts to become incredibly sluggish, there is also no correlation between the amount of cache available and the reasons why it can not cache more frames on a preview.

This is two issues: 

1 - can't cache when there is cache available

2 - being incredibly slow and sluggish for no reason?

What could be the issue here?

Running standard build imac studio m1 ultra (with 4tb disk space)

Project is being read from my QNAP server with thunder bolt 3 connection. 

Cache is being made local on my mac studio

Sorry for my long video whining! This is a consistent issue with after effects for the last.... forerever using it I guess. 10 years? And this always seems to happen toward the end of a big project. However can frequently happen a couple days in on something as minor as this.

Thank you for any help

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as the issue happens with Mac OS, what you can do is limited. You reset your preference resetting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same computer with the same issue, it is incredibly slow for no reason, my computer has tons of CPU memory to use and the project is very simple, and it still is delayed and laggy. Please let me know if you get an answer for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines