Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer:

i9-9900K

64GB RAM

GTX 1080Ti with studio drivers

After updating preview won't play real time past 2 seconds. Cache before playback is on green line on the timeline. I have cached 8 seconds of the timeline and it doesn't matter if I start playback at the beginning or in the middle or anywhere within cached space. It plays real time for about 2 seconds and then it's slow-mo (info shows 21fps and it should be 30fps).

The composition is very simple, but that shouldn't matter when playing back cached space.

I tried reinstalling drivers, purging memory, and switching around audio devices, but nothing helps.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 11

AE v 22.5.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you have a bluetooth audio device connected? Those have always caused weird troubles like this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my phone connected via Bluetooth, but that's the only thing.

BTW I downgraded to v 22.3.0 and playback works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it back, somehow the problem came back in 22.3.0 as well...

I have no idea what is going on.

I actually experienced this on my MacBook Pro M1 few months ago, but I use it only on the road and thought... ah bad update from Adobe, I'll just connect remotely to my PC and now this is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed the bluetooth dongle to make sure nothing connects via BT and there is no difference...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some further clarification, is this happening in EVERY project? 

If not, see if you can find any patterns about layer types, repeated fonts, embedded files, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point!

I noticed it just now as I moved on to a new project. It happens on the timeline that has just some text and 3 very simple imported .ai files. But that's the bread and butter of what I use AE for.

What I hardly use and I do for this project is a composition with Element 3D. What is bizarre, is that it's not even on the timeline, I just prepared a base in a composition that is nowhere used, but if I delete the composition the playback works.

How is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.ai files is a good data point. I might try a few different ones (like, create a REALLY simply one with two shapes) and confirm that it's not something embedded in the .ai that's actually causing the slowdown. Also, worth confirming they're RGB. 

re: Element - I've always found Element to be very sensitive about video card drivers being up to date, so I'd confirm yours are.
Element is currently on version 2.2.3 (available via a patch) - I'd confirm you're on the most up-to-date version of it as well. While it should be updated for Multi-Frame Rendering, if you're still seeing Element issues, you can try disabling MFR to see if that helps. 
Edit > Preferences > Memory & Performance > uncheck "Enable Multi-Frame Rendering"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep Multi-Frame Rendering off, it is 2.2.3 and the video card drivers are studio and they are up to date.

I've contacted Video Copilot, I will report back if I get a solution.

Thank you Kyle for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Removed. I responded to the wrong post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines