Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random color switch of multiple layers

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have problem with animating multiple objects as in topic. I have hundreds of hexagons (shape layers) that I want to FILL randomly in time black. It is important to leave the stroke white. The idea is that hexagons are slowely making black and reveal the picture made from anothers. Is there any possibility to do it by effects or I have to animate all 500 hexagons manually? I'm trying to do it for 6 hours and I'm getting really frustrated... I wish I didn't spend this time on doing it manually.

I'll be grateful for help

TOPICS
Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could apply an expression, of course. The pertinent question would still be how random your "random" is supposed to be, though. the basic drill is to determine random start and end times and then simply use linear() or other such functions to interpolate, but if there is other stuff going on, more complex code may be required. Here's a basic setup that may give you an idea:

seedRandom(index,true);
fadeTime=framesToTime(30); //maximum fade duration;
fadeRand=random(0,fadeTime);

linear(time,0,fadeRand,0,100);

The above exapmple is based on opacity and thus could be applied to e.g. a shape layer fill. Modifications required for genuine color transitions.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for response! I get it but may you tell me how I can add it to all shape in the same time? I have tried to do it with adjustment layer but it didn't work., precompose wasn't solution too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Expressions need to be applied explicitly to the property they are supposed to go on. You just have to reveal and select them first, then AE will automatically paste in the expression.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines