• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rec 2100 footage has colour differences between AE and PR

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have completed an edit in Premiere which has a mixture of Rec709 and 2100 HLG footage, the sequence is set to 709. When I replace an Rec2100 clip with After Effects Composition, AE appears to interpret the footage completely differently from PR. I tried setting interpreting the footage to 709 and replacing clip this way but same problem. I started brand new projects and imported and set everything manually and the same problem still occurs. 

I've checked that all colour management settings match, interpreted footage to make sure they're the same colour space... I've tried everything I can possibly think of to get the AE comp to look the same colour as it does on the PR timeline... but I just can't get them to match. 

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem , Import and export , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have already checked the setting of this. Just in case, I mention it.

After Effects menu -> Project Settings > Color tab > Working Space:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, CM is on and has identical settings for both PR and AE. All footage in both applications is set (override) to rec709. AE doesn't actually see the footage as being 2100 HLG whereas Premiere does. Maybe this is the issue? If I set the footage to 2100 HLG in AE it doesn't fix the problem. I've tried ever flavour of 2100 HLG too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not having any colour issues for non-2100HLG footage I might add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe I've figured this out... it's all down to the codec. I feel pretty stupid for not realising that earlier... I converted all the 2100 HEVC footage to Pro Res, retaining the HLG profile. I managed to get 2100 to display identically through an AE comp on my PR timeline, as it does natively on the timeline (AE settings were CM to 2100, preserve profile on footage and 32 bit float, PR color space 2100).  The scopes were identical.

Then I tried with 709 (preserve RGB on clip. project settings: 709/2.4, 32bpc (probably unnecessary), and 709 space on PR timeline). Visually they look identical, but I noticed a slight shift on the scopes, but it'll have to do for now.

I hope that helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines