• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Regarding optimal AE performance

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the Apple silicon M1 Max revolution and their superfast internal SSD drive (6000 mb/s r/w speed) is there still any reason to store project files on a separate external (fast but not as fast) drive (1600/2600 mb/s r/w) .
The same for AE cache. Sure I can plug in a separate fast drive for only cache. But my question is is it needed for performance?
So, is it possible to store AE project files and set cache on the same internal superfast dive as the system is running on without compromising performance and optimization?
TOPICS
FAQ , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there still any reason to store project files on a separate external (fast but not as fast) drive

Sure. It's called data safety and integrity in the sense of not losing everything when things go downhill. Of course it doesn't matter for your actual workflow. Even if you consider that the theoretical maximum data rates will never be available just for AE, there's enough headroom there to not run into trouble, but you should certainly make a habit of backups, versioning and Save as Copy... every once in a while.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Mylenium. I agree that the ideal for data safety is not to share disk with the system. But it's very tempting on the go to not have little SSD's wobbling around (and also keep track of). A good backup of the whole story is a must though. If so, maybe the internal drive is the way to go. I was wondering since Adobe specifically specify under preferences that one should have different disks for AE cache and the project files. But maybe, with this new setup that comes with the M1 and the unified memory and superfast SSD, that is no longer needed to maintain full optimization for running as smooth AE as possible. If you, or any one else have any idea, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines