Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relative/absolute path

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it possible to have a relative path for our project media?

When i made a collect file, all my medias are in only one folder and my after effect file use them.

But when i copy my main folder (with my after effect file and all my media)

the link is loosed and my new copied file use the absolute path and search in the old folder.

For production reason, i have to copy them with a relative path but i don't know how...

It would be great if someone have a solution for me

Many thanks

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE recognizes all files that are at the same level or blow the project file itself as realtive, so I'm not sure what specifically you are having issues with. You haven't provided any detailed info, anyway, making any form of advise impossible.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, I need to use relative path for folder on equal level. We have projects in folders, inside are folder for various things including the source files and after effects projects, since the source files are used by other applications it does not make sense to 'hide' them in the After Effects Projects folder, yet the after effects projects are reused (and copied) frequently, which requires relinking. A solution to this would be handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium

Regarding the relative path: When working on 2-3 projects at the same time, it would be a big help to work with relative paths for the projects. Knowing that when you open the file browser, the path is where your project is located.  

This would be at big time save just to have the option in the preference.

Best regards,

Jakob Eriksen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news about this? Im completly lost now how After is setting assets paths. While collecting files it seems to only set new absolute path for as long as its on my PC. Whenever i copy the source file outside of its original "nested" position on my drive to completely different folder or desktop, without the footage folder, it still sees the assets, and after clicking reveal in explorer shows the file under the old path (path set after last "collect files"). Yet, when we migrate collected files from PC to PC, to completely different paths on different drives, AFter seems to find them in the Footage folder. I dont get it. DOes it search for missing files in local "Footage" folder only whenever initial absolute path is invalid or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Welcome to 1997....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines