• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace footage with expressions

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, I know, we can't replace footage with expressions, but is there any alternative ? Scripting ? Can we mix scripts and expressions automaticly ?

Let me explain, I have this sports projects where all the results are stocked on a CSV file. For some reasons, I'm using expressions to change text files thanks to expressions like "footage.Datavalue" etc. 

The thing is I want the project to be automaticly updated when I replace the CSV into the  folder. And it's ok... except for the teams logos.

Do I have to run a script for the teams logos ? It seems footage.Datavalue don't work for jsx files.

Other question, can I run automaticly a script when I open a project because the goal is to check the data and render without much manipulations.

If you have any idea for me, I'm ready to test them !

Thanks,

Axel

TOPICS
Expressions , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Scripts don't run automatically. If you want to update stuff, this has to be part of your JSON. Conversely, Scripts can apply and modify expressions like they can edit property streams in the more general sense, but not the other way around. That said, the obvious point you are missing is time-remapping. nothing stops you from putting all your logos, texts and what have you into sub-comps and look up the correct frame(s) to pull in animations and graphics. The only disadvantage would be that wit

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scripts don't run automatically. If you want to update stuff, this has to be part of your JSON. Conversely, Scripts can apply and modify expressions like they can edit property streams in the more general sense, but not the other way around. That said, the obvious point you are missing is time-remapping. nothing stops you from putting all your logos, texts and what have you into sub-comps and look up the correct frame(s) to pull in animations and graphics. The only disadvantage would be that with lots of comps it can get quite slow and would be quite a bit of work to set up, but it would be kinda automatic once it updates its properties from your JSON file.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, and thanks Martin too. This solution could be ok but if I understand what you say, it supposes a finite number of footage, or because it's about sports, there's always a team or a logo to quickly add or, with this method we do have to rewrite a bit the expressions when we add a team, isn't it ?

Maybe I could create some script I put on a dialog box wich changes team on a single button pressure and render the video, so that the user does not have a lot of things to do ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a footage comp with hundreds of placeholder layers and if the teams are not known yet, you can replace the placeholder. However, this will always involve manual work and if I get you right, you are looking for a more automated solution. Instead of starting to code a script, I suggest checking out Templater on AEScripts. It's a bit money to spend, but you safe weeks of developing your own script. *Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Oh, thanks ! I will look at this (there's a trial mode)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines