• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Right-click on tools not showing options

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using After Effects 2018 (15.0.1, build 73) on a Windows 10 PC. Since I updated to the 2018 version, right-clicking on any of the tools does not bring up the options for the respective tool. For example, if I right-click on the marquee tool, it does not show elliptical marquee or any of the others as options I can choose. The only choice I am given is the default rectangle marquee. This is the case for all of the other tools, too. I would appreciate help to resolve this issue.

-Ken M.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Right-click? Huh? AE never used it. You simply hold down the left mouse button for the alternate tools pop-up to come in.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click? Huh? AE never used it. You simply hold down the left mouse button for the alternate tools pop-up to come in.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I don't use After Effects very often, so I assumed that right-clicking on the tools functioned the same way it does in Photoshop. I see now that it doesn't. Thanks for the insight.

-KM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with Mylenium.  You hold down left mouse button.  Right Clicking has never been the method of revealing tool options.

Maybe a daily multi-vitamin is in order?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutterfish: The purpose of these forums is to help people not insult them. Your closing comment was uncalled for and unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

morrisonvp9  wrote

Gutterfish : The purpose of these forums is to help people not insult them. Your closing comment was uncalled for and unnecessary.

I was trying to help you.  You claimed that right clicking tools in AE prior to 2018 would show the options.

Now you're claiming that you never really knew how it worked & you'd just assumed it worked the same as it did in PS.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Gutterfish, I think the problem is with your sentence "Maybe a daily multi-vitamin is in order?". This didn't answer the question in helpful way at all, but instead caused the misunderstanding. Maybe you were making a joke you think is funny, but for some people it sounded salty. If next time you are trying to help someone for real, prevent using the words that will potentially cause confusion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right-clicking to reveal more tool options is standard for Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. For anyone not familiar with AfterEffcts but familiar with a handful of other Adobe programs this may not be immedietly clear. 

Maybe not everyone has been blessed with your innate ability to use a program without ever needing to consult someone for guidance. I'm sure it must be a burden to have so much knowledge, but there's no need to be a smarmy tool about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines