• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate a clipping mask

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project with a rotating gear which I can animate easily enough through rotation keyframes, but the gradient metal fill rotates with it. I'd like to keep that stationary to achieve the right look (the glare of the light wouldn't rotate with the gear).

I thought the easiest way would be to place a circle gradient behind a rotation-animated gear-shaped clipping mask. From searching Google, YouTube, and this forum, it seems there's not an easy way to animate the rotation of a clipping mask.

What's the proper approach for this? I've attached the AE file.

I tried to also attached the Illustrator file, but received this error The attachment's gearanimation.ai content type (application/postscript) does not match its file extension and has been removed. If that would help, I could share that another way as well.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

There's an easy enough way to do it if you look up the correct terminology. It's called a track matte. I suggest you actually read the AE online help...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an easy enough way to do it if you look up the correct terminology. It's called a track matte. I suggest you actually read the AE online help...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mylenium,

Thank you. I did stop to investigate track mattes, but determined it wasn't what I needed. A second look (based on your suggestion) and I got it working (I think I had the layers out of order).

Also, when you say "actually read the AE online help" are you referring to this https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/user-guide.html? You see, the problem is not my lack of want to research and educate myself. I came here looking for the right terms and approach.

Again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AbodeGoody,

Thanks for writing in.

As you mentioned, I was able to open the project but couldn't understand what's happening because the footage is missing. A screenshot of your Illustrator file would give us a better idea.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nishu,

Thank you.

GearAnimationScreenshot.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines