• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Roto Brush 2.0 Paint Strokes Doesn't Propagate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue with paint strokes using Roto Brush 2 not propogating like it should. After I paint my selection and shift 1 frame, the paint stroke either starts to shrink or it dissapears altogether. I've tried switching to the original Roto Brush, and the strokes propogate like it should (not trying to using the legacy Roto Brush tool tho).

- I'm on After Effects 17.6

- I've updated Windows and used DDU for a clean install of my Nvidia GPU driver.

- I've tried reinstalling AE

- My GPU isn't overclocked

I don't know what the Roto Brush 2 tool uses that the legacy version doesn't rely on, but it's weird that the legacy version works while RB2 doesn't work. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

I rolled back my Nvidia Driver to 457.30 and it started to work again, then updated again to the current driver and it revereted back to the issue. It's a driver issue. Hoping a new AE or Nvidia update will clear this up

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any info on your footage, exact RB settings, screenshots we can't even begin to guess.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad, I should have included a screen recording. It doesn't seem like the issue is the footage or even the RB settings. I've attached a screen cap below

RB2 Screen Cap 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually played with the parameters for contrast etc.? Both your examples are very low-contrast and the algorithm may simply not be able to detect anything.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those were just test footage to show the the issue I'm dealing with. I've used the RB2 on multiple different footage ot dig deeper on the issue and the behavior is the same. The shark footage is from Adobe website for practing with roto brush, thought that would be a fair example to show this  behavior.

I've been able to try RB2 on my computer at work and it works like it should (using these same footages). Both machines are almost identical in terms on GPU and Windows drivers. I've also used RB2 in the past with no issues and this is something that's newly happening. It'd be nice to hear from someone with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another example using the Bee on flower footage from Adobe

Bee on Flower 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rolled back my Nvidia Driver to 457.30 and it started to work again, then updated again to the current driver and it revereted back to the issue. It's a driver issue. Hoping a new AE or Nvidia update will clear this up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried many times to explain to the so called experts at Adobe that ROTO BRUSH 2.0 DON'T WORK!!!! but you get the same run around about footage and colors and all the crap they can hand you, to make you look like you just don't know what your doing and that what ever the problem is must be something your doing wrong. The only problem is ROTO BRUSH 2.0 HAS SOME SERIOUS ERRORS.!!!! It has become totally useless to me, by hand roto is way faster than ROTO BRUSH 2.0. Last try at it took 20 minutes to do 4 seconds of a 10 second clip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotobrush 2.0 has been broken after 18.1. Its an issue many people experience and Adobe has yet t reply to. AMD, and NVIDIA cards are doing the same thing. I have replied directly to  developers and they refused to even reply back many times. if you have issues with Roto roll back to 18.1 and it will work perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issues on a mac m1 ultra, just fails all the time, even on great clean footage... it's useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hey there from 2 years in the future lol. still have this issue. did you ever find a workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines