Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Roto-Mask created in Mocha Disables with Mask Expansion

New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I seem to be experiencing a persistent issue with masks exported from mocha via the standard plugin. (I found one post about this on Mocha's site (dated for a prior year), the "answer" a moderator blaming AE for the issue.)

The Issue: After rotoscoping a small selection of a clip (I'm working on a series of clips, all similar and experiencing the same issue, btw) I use the plugin to export the AE mask. I set the mask to subtract. (My plan is to remove a small piece of paper from an actor's face.) The mask subtracts correctly. However, when I try to "Expand" the mask via the expansion option weird things are occurring; The mask will randomly disappear or disable on random frames, inadvertently not subtracting anything. ie. the paper shows back up.

The mask is aligned properly still and keyframed in place. The issue is consistent in that it happens every time to every clip. (I have worked on about 4 out of 20 thus far.) The frames that it "drops" are random. On the previous 3 clips, I was able to keep it subtracting consistently by deleting a frame or 2 surrounding the "drop". With this 4th clip, the workaround is not working. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

This is only happening with roto masks from the Mocha plugin, not an AE-originated mask.

The "drop" happens to random frames, not every frame.

I updated AE today in the hopes of a fix but the problem persists.

I checked that my GFX driver was up to date and it is. I reinstalled the driver just in case and the problem persists.

I have purged all media and cache files and the problem is still there.

The "mask drop" shows up on exports as well. (So it does appear to be a gfx/render issue?)

Build:

CPU: Intel i9 10900K

GFX: GTX 1080

64G DDR4 

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to deactivate GPU acceleration in File > Project Settings. Under the Video Rendering and Effects select the Mercury Software Only. Then go to Edit > Purge > All Memory and Disk Cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried but am experiencing the same result. 

New of note: I do not experience the issue when decreasing the mask size, only increasing.

Also, I seem to have found an inconvenient workaround for the moment, but one nonetheless. Until proven otherwise, it appears that deleting some of the individual points off the mask at a "bad" key-frame will make the mask work for that frame. I have to do this for all of the "bad frames".

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nothing has changed as of yet, and I have posted to a Mocha forum with no response. 

Another easier "Workaround" I've found is lowering the number of points on my tracking spline in Mocha. I haven't found the specific number that causes the glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines