• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotobrush doesn't work - flickers black when trying to draw

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a rather simple clip of a woman standing in front of a solid color wall that I'm trying to rotobrush.  However, when I go to brush on it, the screen continually flickers black and doesn't draw the pink lines it's supposed to.  When I stop drawing, AE sort of spazzes out, and after that even if I delete the Rotobrush effect, I don't get proper playback or even scrubbing.  I can even switch to other comps or projects.

I've trashed prefs to no avail. The behavior persists.  AE behaves for me otherwise making motion graphics.

My AE is up to date, this behavior happens even after a fresh reboot.  Decent custom system with an RTX 2070 Super GPU, 4K monitor.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Does your system meet the minimum system requirements?
  • Is your version of AE up-to-date?
  • What format is the original footage?
  • Is this a new problem?

Answer at least a couple of those and maybe we can come up with a solution or a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel Core i5-6600K (32GB)

Nvidia RTX 2070-Super (16GB)

512GB SSD, Samsung M.2 drive

etc etc

Up-to-date.

Footage is H264 converted to ProRes 422.

I've never seen this problem before, though I've also never used Rotobrush on this system.  Otherwise AE works fine on it.

I just tried this on my 2019 16" MacBook Pro and Rotobrush worked, but this time it had a weird issue where I would have to manually move to a different frame to see my results - if I drew a brush, the screen would go black.  On that system I have successfully used Rotobrush before.  That system is also fully updated.

Our subject thought their pink wall would make a substitute for greenscreen.  Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm having issues.  I do all this rotoscoping work, and the system re messes all the work I've done afterwards.  It works for a second, until I render it.  Some tips online says I should sae each individual rotoscope area to save the file, but that would take a long time since I have numerous layers for composite.  

Please help.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally, when you use Rotobrush you should put that footage in its own comp. You can do that by pre-composing, then apply rotobrush, freeze the roto, then use the comp in your main comp and apply your effects there. If the clip is longer than a few seconds it is a good idea to render it and replace the comp with rendered footage using the Render Queue and the Output Module's Lossless with Alpha Preset. Rotobrush takes a tremendous amount of resources, must be frozen before proceeding, bloats the AEP file size, and slows things down so unless the shot is short and the roto goes very well, it's always a good idea to render. It is never a good idea to stack a bunch of other effects on a layer that has Rotobrush applied to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am experiencing the same problem, windows 11 everything to its latest version, never had this issue before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines