Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotobrush not masking

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 
I have been trying to mask using rotobrush, but every time I try it keeps painting instead. I am on layer viewing mode, and I have tried closing After Effects and everything but I'm stumped. It keeps painting instead and shows up as paint in effects. Does anybody know how to fix this / change it back to masking? I use After Effects CC 2020.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actualyl selected the right tool? Screenshots might help to clarify.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to show as much as I can, the white thing is the paint it keeps doing even though I selected rotobrush and I'm on layer..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cropped screenshots are almost useless for diagnosing problems, and uploaded ones are a pain to look at. Try embedding a full screenshot showing the timeline, the modified properties of the problem layer, and the footage panel. Select the layer, press 'uu' to reveal modified properties, take a screenshot, copy the file or drag it to the reply field or use the Toolbar to embed it so we can see it. 

The only thing I got from your screenshot is that you are trying to use Rotobrush on a JPG. That is the wrong tool to use on an image. Rotobrush is intended for Footage.

You could get a white line if you selected the wrong display for Rotobrush in the Footage panel.

Not all Footage is compatible with Rotobrush. There must be significantly different color and luminance values between the subject and the background for Rotobrush to work. You cannot rotobrush a farmer in a yellow shirt standing in a wheat field or a man in a black suit standing in front of a black car because there are no distinct edges for Rotobrush to find. Motion blur is also a big enemy of Rotobrush. I have had 100 frame shots that took me a couple of days to roto. I have also had 10-second shots that Rotobrush could successfully process in just a few minutes.

Make sure you have looked at some good Rotobrush tutorials, make sure your Footage is well suited to the process, and embed a full screenshot if you have more trouble. It is also a good idea to include a detailed description of your design goals in the post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are applying RB to a still image, which of course won't work, given that it is based on detecting motion in clips. You may want to read the online help and find a good tutorial on the basics.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines