• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotobrush rendering starts off fast, then gets slower, then 1 frame per 10 seconds... then hangs.

Advocate ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrated.

I have a real simple clip, 30 seconds of a wall, camera almost still, all I did was mask out one mirror.  The wall is blank, one color.

Very simple mask.

So I mask out the square mirror, using Rotobrush 2.0  (the mirror has small crooked borders, didn't want the pen tool, RB 2.0 is better).   

I do notice there is a lot of fluctuation in the RB 2.0 in the border of the mirror.  The mirror border has a great deal of small jaggy edges so I'm assuming it's slow because it can't find a pattern?  But it starts rendering just fine then slows down.

Then I render it, starts off at about 2 frames per second.  Nice.   Then slowly goes to about 1 frame per second.  livable.  then, gets slower and slower, to the point of hanging.  shot has no effects is a clean .mov file  1080p.  Feels like it's running out of gas.  It goes thru about half the clip before dragging, then pooping out.   

RB 1.0 is horrible.  Can't stay still.  I guess it's back to the dreaded pen tool and lots of feathering.

my system:  32gb, ss drives, gtx 1050 ti,  Ryzen 7. 

I don't think throwing money at this problem is a solution. (buying an overpriced gpu card)  

Please send me your thoughts. 

Thank you!!

Letty

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , Freeze or hang , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

You pretty much answered your own question: RB thrives on detectable changing patterns to synthesize the underlying motion field. No motion, not change in the field, no threshold calculations to draw the border. And with RB 2.0 it gets even worse because it tries to be too smart for its own good and attempts to fix the lack of actual patterns by throwing endless calculations from the AI algorithms at it. Going back to conventional masks seems sensible, though perhaps there may be ways to extract

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You pretty much answered your own question: RB thrives on detectable changing patterns to synthesize the underlying motion field. No motion, not change in the field, no threshold calculations to draw the border. And with RB 2.0 it gets even worse because it tries to be too smart for its own good and attempts to fix the lack of actual patterns by throwing endless calculations from the AI algorithms at it. Going back to conventional masks seems sensible, though perhaps there may be ways to extract a clean matte using other means. Having a reference frame/ screenshot might help to make a determination on that...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You seem to be spot on.

When I do RB with cleaner images, it works like a charm, but throw some moving jagged borders in the mix, and it's hell.

Pen tool to the rescue. 

With all the new AI stuff coming out, I'll bet AE makes a great AI rotobrush 3.0 , but, I know they come out with it AFTER I finish my film.

Thanks for your prior thoughts.

Letty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines