Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotobrush tool crash After Effects

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. 

When I try to work with rotobrush, I make it on first frame and then when I push space or cmd + → to move forward, After effects just closed without any messages. 

I use Macbook M1 with lastest Bigsur. After effects 18.4. 
I also try to reinstall After effects, and I try 18.2 version. Still dont work. 

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

The bug is caused by the IOS 11..15.1 updates. It is documented, bug reports are filed, and every available version of AE will crash immediately if you try and propagate Rotobrush. We will have to wait for an update. It may take a while. Premiere Pro, Audition, and a bunch of other Adobe apps are already Universal (M1 compliant) but After Effects, even AE Beta is still a universal app that needs to run under Rosetta.

Most of the time, before I run an IOS update or a Windows update, I make a bo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is caused by the IOS 11..15.1 updates. It is documented, bug reports are filed, and every available version of AE will crash immediately if you try and propagate Rotobrush. We will have to wait for an update. It may take a while. Premiere Pro, Audition, and a bunch of other Adobe apps are already Universal (M1 compliant) but After Effects, even AE Beta is still a universal app that needs to run under Rosetta.

Most of the time, before I run an IOS update or a Windows update, I make a bootable copy of my boot drive co I can roll back in a couple of minutes if there are problems. This was one time I got caught so my M1 Mac is useless for Rotobrush until an update fixes the bug caused by Apple "improving" security. It's a killed background process that causes the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It there a way to turn off the OS function of killing background process that causes the crash??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello sir, im on a macbook pro M1 but on ios 11.4, and still i have problems with rotoscoping. it doesn'tinstantly crash, but it's uncredibly slow, and it just sops after 2 to 5 seconds, is there a fox for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates? it still breaks for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned by Rick Gerard, Its the update that is causing the crash. 

But I found a workaround, 

Once you did painting with roto brush, before proceeding to the next frame.

Change the roto brush version to classic.

It works that way. 

Note : But even after IOS 11.6 update the crash continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and I noticed the following: When my working space in in "None" I have no problem with Rotobrush. When I activate a specific working space color profile (for examble, I am always working using the color profile of my monitor calibration) then rotobrush crashes. If I have working color space off, it works fine, if it is on, it crashes. So I do my rotobrush work with no color space and after I am done, I reactivate the working space. If I use "None" as my working space, then I am not having any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your solution but it didn't work on my laptop Macbook pro M1 with the last version of After. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved the rotobrush setting back to 1.0 classic and it seemed to fix the issue for the clip I needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is causing one of my projects to crash. It's 2023. I'm on a mac m1 max. Hitting caps lock prevents it from crashing, and selecting Version 1 Classic in the drop down. But WTF? It worked when I built the project just a week ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me. My project worked fine after hours in the session, then I come back to it a few days layer and it crashes in seconds.

How do you select Version 1 Classic? Which dropdown?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rotobrush work around AE.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hitting the caps lock key as the project loads will buy you some time as it prevents a render refresh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using MBP 2022 M1 OS13.5 AE Beta (latest update)

I had a program crash while attempting to use rotobrash. Now I can not open AE at all. I have reinstall AE Beta, Restart computor and still no way to open AE.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 9.45.58 am.png

Creative signature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me. Adobe, this is unacceptable. It's costing my company money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's frustrating. But hitting the caps lock key when the title screen is loading (might take a few tries) does buy you time to change to the old rotobrush so it stops crashing and you regain control of your project. At least, it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this and it still crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some experimentation, I found that the program crashed if I was in the "standard" workspace.  But not if I was in the "animation" workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind.  I worked for a short time.  Now can't get it to work at all.  Even uninstalled and reinstalled the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your os version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And your after effect version 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines