• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotobrush

Participant ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rotobrush edge moves when literally NOTHING has changed.  I'm doing some roto of 3d character from a TV show for work, and there's a lot of animating on twos - so there are a lot of frames that are literally identical, yet the rotobrush moves when nothing else does.  Why?  If there's no change from one frame to another why doesn't the rotobrush stay the same?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the wrong tool and you are working against it. RB works by detecting motion, not static edges. That's a huge misconception most people have and thus of course there are limitations how well it will work with non-smooth footage. That and of course your TV footage would still have differences in the frames e.g. from compression that affect what the tool "sees". Feel free to tweak the settings, but ultimately you may need to use another method like conventional masks to make this perfect.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A regular mask is 100% unsutiable. I can't go through minutes worth of footage doing frame by frame manual masking just because some of the animation is on twos. And that doesn't even make sense - if the rotobrush tool detects motion, why is it shifting when there is 0 motion?  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the rotobrush to roto what is actually happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compression artifacts, variable frame rate footage, and noise can foul up a Rotobrush project. I always trim my footage, add some color correction to increase edge detail and contrast if necessary, then pre-compose moving all attributes and trimming the new comp to the layer duration before I run Rotobrush. This even helps with frame rate problems.

Give that a try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hope the suggestion above helped.

Feel free to reach out. Moving this thread from Bugs to Discussions for now.

Thanks,
Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines