• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotoscoping is very slow. AMD 5950X, RTX 3080Ti 128GB of RAM. What am I doing wrong?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my specs are as indicated in the title.

• CPU: AMD 5950x
  • Graphics: RTX 3080 Ti
  • RAM: 128 GB

Yet, using rotobrush is extremely slow, when going frame by frame and when freezing the rotoscoping, it just takes ages. I have no idea why this happens. 

Here are some screenshots of my resources while the roto is doing its thing.

defaultc0bcnbofj0bw_0-1675017558067.png

defaultc0bcnbofj0bw_1-1675017568746.png

Using a ton of memory yet graphics and CPU are barely being used. 

How could I fix this? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

The amount of time it takes Rotobrush to process a frame depends on the size of the selection, the size of the frame, the color depth of the project, and the contrast and detail difference between the object you are trying to mask and the surrounding image. Highly compressed footage like H.264 or HVEC also takes longer to process than frame-based footage like ProRez because of the time and resources it takes to generate the pixels that H.264 and HVEC formats have to create from the reference fra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you post a question you always need to tell the Adobe program you are using
There are MANY programs in a full subscription, plus other non-subscription programs
Please post the exact name of the Adobe program you use so a Moderator may move this message to that forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the feedback. It looks like a Mod already moved it. 

I'll remember that for any future question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the After Effects forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The amount of time it takes Rotobrush to process a frame depends on the size of the selection, the size of the frame, the color depth of the project, and the contrast and detail difference between the object you are trying to mask and the surrounding image. Highly compressed footage like H.264 or HVEC also takes longer to process than frame-based footage like ProRez because of the time and resources it takes to generate the pixels that H.264 and HVEC formats have to create from the reference frames in the file. If your selection is about 400 X 400 pixels, if you increase the selection to about 800 X 800 pixels, the processing time does not double; it goes up by 4 times. The increase in the resources required for Rotobrush goes up logarithmically as the area increases.

Show us a screenshot of the footage and tell us the frame size, video format, and frame rate, and we should be able to give you some suggestions that will increase the efficiency of your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick, thank you so much for such a detailed explanation. I appreciate it a lot. 

In fact, the clips I'm using are from a sony a7s3 shooting (XAVC S) h.264 in 4K and 60 FPS, so per your explanation it

makes total sense that I am basically torturing my PC. 

Switching to ProRes is not really practical given the few amount of times that I have to use Rotobrush. Looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet every time I use Rotobrush.

Again, thank you so much for the level of detail of your explanation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines