Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

sampleImage with a fade

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have this sampleImage expression on a shape layer opacity property that looks at the Alpha channel of a "Master Matte"layer beneath it and adjusts its Opacity to either 0 or 100 value.

Is there a way to have the Opacity fade out from 100 to 0 for a certain amount of time when the sample switches from 0 to 1 alpha? At the moment it changes immediately. 

Thank you

lyrsrc=thisComp.layer("Master Matte");
pos1 = thisProperty.propertyGroup(1)(2);
pos2 = thisProperty.propertyGroup(4).transform.position;
point = pos1+pos2;
tst = lyrSrc.sampleImage(point, radius = [2, 2], postEffect = true, t = time)[3];

if (tst > .5){
	0;
}
else{
	100;
}

TOPICS
Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Just add the necessary temporal logic and a linear() or whatever interpolator, also necessitationg a while() loop to constantly force the evaluation, accumulate the values and figure out the start condition.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the reply.

My knowledge of expressions is still pretty basic but I'd like to learn more. I'm familiar with the linear interpolation but I'm a little stumped by the way in which to use the while() function and what you mean by temporal logic?

Is there a chance you could break that down a bit more? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You run the whole thing in a while loop because AE has no way of rembering variables' values, hence the whole loop needs to be iterated for every frame to correctly accumulate results. just throwing out some basics pseudo-code structure here:

frame=0;

while (time < thisComp.duration)

if  (tst > 0.5)

{opa=0;

frame ++;

continue}

else

{opa=100;

break}

Thze accululate value for frame could then be fed into a secondary calculation as the actual event time from which you simply go backwards by subtracting the duration of your fade. Finally you feed it into a linear()

linear(time,startTime,endTime,0,100);

Again, this is just pseudo-code that needs to be fleshed out and tested. I suggest you study the relevant examples like the audio trigger expressions at http://www.motionscript.com/ to get a feel for how this stuff works.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you @Mylenium 

That does make more sense now, and I'll check out the motionscript page,

Much appreciated!

Chris 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines