• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen capture footage renders choppy

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make a quick demo video. I've recorded a quick screen capture of my desktop with Quicktime, bring it into AfterEffects, and when I render with Media Encoder, it looks really choppy.

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , Freeze or hang , Import and export , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be anything from using a screen capture program that uses variable frame rates to rendering to the wrong format. I wouldn't even try and guess without at least a few workflows, system, and project details. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I'm capturing my screen with QuickTime Player Version 10.5 (1015.2.1), just using their "New Screen Recording" with default features on my 15 inch MacBook Pro running Catalina (10.15.3). I'm trying to screen recording my browser, with my mouse moving across the screen, tapping on a button whichs opens a pop-up window, and then I minimize it.

I then brought it into AfterEffects Version 17.0.5 using "New Composition from Footage." It creates a composition at 59.9362 frames per second. I do some animation work on top of the footage (some lines that move positon and opacity).

I then have tried a number of things to render, all giving me very choppy results. I tried adding to the render queue with "Best Settings" and "Lostless". I also tried doing it in Media Encorder with various pre-sets for H.264 and Qucktime.

Let me know if this is enough info. Happy to provide more and very appreciate of any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try transcoding the footage in Adobe Media Encoder to an intermediate format (like ProRes) and then bring that into AE to work with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I referenced this thread in the Premiere Pro forum, which worked for me. Using Handbrake, I converted my Quicktime screen recording to Constant Frame Rate. I had to change my sequence settings to 30 fps for some reason, but that was ok for my needs and I was able to get smooth playback and rendering.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.43.18 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just drag the screen recording straight into Adobe Media Encoder and render an MP4 then work with that in Ae you should be fine. Worked for me anyway. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dragging to Media Encoder didn't fix it for me, but using Miro Video Converter did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines