Scripts / plug-ins / tips for emphasising keyframed layers in timeline

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi — I've got a pretty simplified workflow using plug-ins (relatively speaking, we're talking about After Effects here), but the one thing I can't find any help with is a script or options to add emphsasis or markers to layers that have keyframes in the timeline so that they can be distinguished from un-keyframed layers at a rapid glance (without having to wander about pressing U on everything).

I work with a lot of AI scenes that progress through different groups of assets — I trim and label each group corresponding to their timing in the scene but, when I return to an earlier group in the sequence, I have to re-familiarise myself with all of the group's layers (which ones have been manually keyframed, which have parented properties, which are static, etc). Once the comp has grown to hundreds of layers high, I'm using up chunks of mental energy meticulously re-examining portions of the timeline. I could be working on two or three of these scenes per day, so all that wasted effort adds up.

If anyone has any tips, something I've missed in the vanilla AE UI, or scripts / plug-ins that would help to make keyframed layers (and where they've been keyframed) obvious without having to leave every keyframed layer open, I'd be GREATLY appreciative. After weeks of Googling it appears that this is not a very common problem, so any and all advice welcome.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There simply is no way to add a bright pink marker or keyframe dot or whatever you seem to envision here. These are UI items and options for coloring are only what can be found in the preferences. Everything outside that is just up to your workflow - giving layers meaningful names, changing their label color, adding comments to markers, using shortcuts like UU to reveal keyframed properties only, using more pre-composing to not end up with hundreds of layers in a comp in the first place, using layer switches like solo and the shy guy to visually isolate elements and so on. A few of these things can be semi-automated with scripts like Zorro, the layer tagger, but otherwise you are pretty much left to your own organizational efforts.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, use all these things. Looking to improve further. Thanks for your suggestions.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines