• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

selecting text with cursor omits last character

Engaged ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using my cursor to highlight text, the last character will always be omitted from the selection. See my example video. AE version 22.2.0, Windows 10, latest Nvidia Driver 

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

This discussion is a duplicate of cant-select-last-letter-in-a-line-of-text-after-effects which has more current status.

Summary: a fix is available in the current Beta build for 23.0, it will be available in the next full release when it becomes available. See above link for more information if you desire it.

It has been a frustrating problem for many customers, software engineers as well. I believe it to be resolved and we have had no negative reports from internal or beta users, though th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could win the "unexpecte behavior of the day".

What happens if you double-click to select the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, yes haha. Double click does the trick fine and grabs the whole line, but the manual approach isn't working 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any thoughts to what could be causing this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure.  It's odd.  It's hard at this point to know if it's the mouse driver, the font, After Effects, Windows, or something else.

After you've done the click and drag, you can also should be able to use shift down arrow if you were going left to right with your mouse and shift up arrow if you were going for right to left to complete the selection.

Have you seen this happen in Photoshop, Illustrator, or Premiere Pro as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems to only happen inside AE. I can highlight text anywhere outside of AE with no issue I have seen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, seems to happen no matter the font used. There are rare times it works fine, but mostly, it will garvitate to behaving this way as seen in my example video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this kind of issue, resetting the preferences is probably a good place to start.

You can sync and then clear your settings.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/after-effects/using/sync-settings.html

Or manually move the preferences file (Preferences > General > Reveal Preferences).

If that clears the unexpected text selection issue, you can create new settings and do a new sync or you can restore the synced settings (but a restore may bring the issue back).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deleting prefs (no migration) did not work. I also installed the prior version of AE and then back to current without migrating and still have the same issue. Checked mouse and Nvidia drivers are up to date. No clue where to get from here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*where to go from here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delayed response, JBrown321.

Thanks for reporting this. We're able to reproduce the behavior at our end. We've filed a bug for this so that it can be fixed in future updates. Sorry for the iinconvenience

Let us know if there are any other questions.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah that's great news! Thank you so much for taking the time and effort looking into this! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw a new updsate yesterday but didn't not see the fix listed yet. Has the adobe team found a solution yet and is there any timeline as to when this fix will come? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eagerly downloaded 22.6 thinking it had to be fixed: IT WAS NOT.  What a royal pain in the ass.  They fixed it once in a earlier update and then it came back in another update.  Can we please FIX THIS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another update out but still no fix. Is Adobe working on this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem here. Waiting for Adobe's solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all ! (AE V22.5) I also have the same problem: always missing a character when I select by mouse drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The selection works well by placing the cursor in the right place using the Right or Left arrow, then holding Shift + arrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I'm on a Mac Studio (M1 Ultra), and the problem is still there with the latest version of After Effects, 22.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue; a small one, but persistent and so irksome when animating type.  Still present on AE 22.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to see that this has been ackonowledged as it's driving me insane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is still present on AE Version 22.6.0 (Build 64) for Windows. Add a text layer and then manually select the text using the mouse or trackpad and the last character is not included in the selection, making edits and property changes unnecessarily difficult for users that focus on mouse/trackpad usage. Doesn't make a difference when selecting from last character to first or first character to last, regardless of font family. The "Select All" menu command and keys (Ctrl+A) do work correctly. This needs to get fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version after version, update after update, this issue remain...! It is really a shame...
Adobe takes advantage of its dominant position in the market in a disgusting way by letting its apps accumulate bugs. Updates only seem to be cosmetic interventions now. Ashamed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Struggled all year with that bug. We do a lot of text animation at the TV Station and it make everything difficult. It's a big bug. Not a small one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Thierry5C74 

Until this gets resolved, double-click the Text Layer in the Composition panel or in the Timeline panel to quickly select the entire line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines