Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Seq data/Arb data/Undo issues

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All!

Can solve that situation, maybe I miss something!?

Working on effect, me scheme:

param1 -\                                 / render

param2 ---} [sequence data] -

param3 -/                                 \ update custom UI

So if any param is changed, seq data recalculating and both, render and custom UI - updating.

If I undo last param changes, param will undo, render will take a previous image from cache, but sequnce data will not update, its undoeble.

For example:

1step. param = 1, seq data = 255, render/UI - white

2step. param = 0, seq data = 0, render/UI - black

3step. UNDO -> param = 1, seq data = 0, render - white(from cache), cust UI - Undefined Behaviour.

I cant find the point, where I can recalculate my seq data if Undo and draw updated custom UI. Do we have any Event, or flag or function to manage that? What I tried:

1. Trying to find undo event. ctr-z KEYDOWN works fine, but as I see in Debug, key-down was the first event after ctr-z command, and the value of slider is still not reverted. So I cant use that values,

2. I can recalculate seq data in Draw event, but its wrong way. I cant send it to render and I need to recalculate it many/many/many times at every Draw event.

3. cant use PF_Cmd_UPDATE_PARAMS_UI

4. Im wondering, should I use arb data for my custom UI? And what the role of seq data then?

What is ncice way to work with undo in AE if I have custom data?

here is an order of called events after ctr-z:

babichfx_0-1630575287530.png

Many seq calss, I have all of them (accordingly with that doc:
https://reduxfx.com/ae_seqdata), but its not working for me.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , SDK , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

the seq_data calls happen a ton of times. don't worry about it.

anyways, since sequence data doesn't do undo, it's a problematic design to have it HAVE to match params. tracking undos reliably is a very tough, if at all possible.

i think the simplest solution would be to save some state identifier in both the arb params AND the sequence data. when using the sequence data (on whatever call. first chance it's used), compare the state identifier in the arb to the one in the sequence data. if they m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

well... there's no declared purpose for it.

it's not much good for processed image data, becuase different frames might get processed at the same time.

it's no good param-dependet processed data, as there's no telling when the param values changed.

i personally use it for a couple of things:

1. sequence setup is a unique call for brand new instnace. i use it to flag new instances for some purposes.

2. sequence data survives the user hitting the "reset" button. i use it to store data that won't

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe problem in my seq flattening functions..

If it helps:

babichfx_1-1630575551234.png

babichfx_2-1630575566993.png

babichfx_3-1630575643643.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the seq_data calls happen a ton of times. don't worry about it.

anyways, since sequence data doesn't do undo, it's a problematic design to have it HAVE to match params. tracking undos reliably is a very tough, if at all possible.

i think the simplest solution would be to save some state identifier in both the arb params AND the sequence data. when using the sequence data (on whatever call. first chance it's used), compare the state identifier in the arb to the one in the sequence data. if they mismatch, regenerate the sequence data and store the corresponding state identifier with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Shachar!

Thank you for clarification!

Yes, I thought about it, that I shouldt use seq data a base for calculations. But was not sure, what is the place for that data in my effect (architecturally).

Now I need to save my important data into arb data and connect it with my custom UI. Assume that data should be undoable.

Seems like seq data is a temporary place to pass some information to another modules. From event calculations to render, for example. Or to some functions which dont have an access to params, where I cant have an access to my arbdata, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well... there's no declared purpose for it.

it's not much good for processed image data, becuase different frames might get processed at the same time.

it's no good param-dependet processed data, as there's no telling when the param values changed.

i personally use it for a couple of things:

1. sequence setup is a unique call for brand new instnace. i use it to flag new instances for some purposes.

2. sequence data survives the user hitting the "reset" button. i use it to store data that won't survive in an arb in that situation.

3. sequence data doesn't undo/redo, so i store stuff there that i don't want changing, or that just doesn't trigger a re-render or an undo entry when changed.

4. for data that i need kept during a session but i don't want bloating the project file.

in other words, i use it only when other storage methods don't meet the needs. otherwise it's kinf of a paint in the butt...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ingeniously! Thanks for help! Its clarify very much for me.
Can’t wait until the working day is over and we’ll be able to code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines