• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

shape animation - bezier handle changing in between keyframes

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue with my keyframe animation of shape layer. I'm not exactley sure how to explain the bezier properties, but I'll try to explain the best I can.

I have a keyframe set where the bezier handle of a single point is "smooth" (controls both sides). I have second keyframe where the bezier handle is the same ("smooth"). In the interpolation between the two keyframes the bezier point changes to "split", where there are two hard angles off both sides. 

I've experimented with different keyframe interpolation, but not getting results. I want to keep it "smooth" between keyframes. 

Any insight on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vector paths animate in a straight line. Sometimes you can improve the transition between points using the Mask Interpolation panel. Often you have to just delete the problem keyframe and start over setting more in between keyframes. Unfortunately, things like rotating a vector path can become very cumbersome because "pose to pose" tweening is linear and it is hard to fix that.

Another option may be to use the Create Nulls From Paths>Path follows nulls script that you can find at the bottom of the Window menu. Then you can just animate the position of the nulls to control your paths and make more complex moves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information Rick. I didn't think about nulls from path option, that might give me the best control

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a follow up, I forgot I lose control of the handles when attached to nulls. So that solution won't work.

And, I might have not communicated clearly initally,  it wasn't so much how the points move  (linear as you said), but how the bezier handles changed in that linear move. The handles are keyframed with the handles "mirroring" (so when moving a left or right side  handle the entire curve is changed, not just the left or right side).  My issue is, the next frame forward off the keyframe the handle changes to a "non-mirroring".

The animation is really quick, so it won't be too hard to just animate every frame to what I want. It just seemed strange the bezier handle would change to "non-mirroring" when both start and end keyframes are set to "mirroring".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this: https://crunchycreatives.com/create-nulls-from-paths-extended/

I have both. I use the extended version about one out of ten times that I need this kind of tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines