• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shortcut key to have work area zoom to fill timeline view?

Participant ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

About a hundred times a day I select a work area and then want to zoom in so that the work area fills the timeline view. Have searched high and low and can't find a way to easily do this (keyboard shortcut or otherwise), It seems like such an obvious thing people would want to do, so I'm hoping I just haven't found the shortcut. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Lori

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Thanks for answering. None of these shortcuts do what I need, unfortunately. I'm finally motivated enough to make a feature request (to end the madness, haha).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zoom in time

= (equal sign) on main keyboard

= (equal sign) on main keyboard

Zoom out time

- (hyphen) on main keyboard

- (hyphen) on main keyboard

Zoom in Timeline panel to single-frame units (Press again to zoom out to show entire composition duration.)

; (semicolon)

; (semicolon)

Zoom out in Timeline panel to show the entire composition duration (Press again to zoom back in to the duration specified by the Time Navigator.)

Shift+; (semicolon)

Shift+; (semicolon)

from here:

After Effects keyboard shortcuts reference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering. None of these shortcuts do what I need, unfortunately. I'm finally motivated enough to make a feature request (to end the madness, haha).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

I desperately needed this functionality, also, and finally found it. I need to zoom in for precise placement of masks, etc. but not affect the output zoom level of the display.

What to do:

In the toolbar just above the Project Panel, select the Zoom tool. In the Composition Panel you can click and drag to define a rectangle area that you wish to zoom in on and, when releasing the mouse button, the view will zoom to the area you selected. After zooming, use the Hand Tool to reposition the area in view as needed. To return to a standard zoom level, use the magnification dropdown list in the lower left of the Composition Panel to select "Fit" or any of the standard zoom levels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, did you actually read the question? lorilinstruth tells about zoom feature in the TIMELINE panel (it is where all your comps and animated layers stacked) and the Work area in this TIMELINE panel. Why did you posted about Zoom in Composition panel? It is different at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is old but to trim the timeline to work area just right-click on the work area bar and select "trim comp to work area".

hope this helps

~ Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the answer to the question. The OP does not want to change the duration of the comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The absence of this feature has annoyed me since 2001 when I started using AE.  20 years, no solution.  I requested it years and years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. About 50 times a day, I agree. 

Especially if you are doing lots of keyframing to music track, like a custom lyric video. It would be great as you work your way through the timeline. There has to be a script to something that can be assigned to a hotkey?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Logic Pro the Z key is king (it zooms to any selection). Maybe the Ae-people should look how other software deal with zooming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a bit of a deep dive into this as a script, ChatGPT in tow, and after about 100 script attempts, we concluded that scripting can not affect the 'Timeline' zoom level. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is an older thread, but there is the shortcut "Zoom to Sequence" that sets the zoom to the size of all clips in the sequence. This does what I was looking for, maybe also for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines