• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sliding Layers & Keyframes In Timeline Super Choppy & Slow

Engaged ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why in God's name is the timeline navigation so slow now? I have attached a link to a video of my issue below. I mean the simplest of task such as dragging a layer forward or backward in time, dragging keyframes or footage. Keyframes and rolling type adustments to footage will just react and snap to wild points in time after the mouse is released at times too ( that specifically not shown in video example below).  It's like trying to push a car underwater moving around at 3fps. I have friends on the same AE version( Windows & OS 23.0.1 build 83) that have the same exact responsivenes. This isn't an issue with specs as I've not changed a thing and yet the new releases are just so sluggish now. For the sake of providing the info I will still include my system specs. I have have messed with prefs, I always clear my cache constantly, have it set to a fast NVMe drive and enable Mercury GPU Acceleration (which btw never ever seems to stay on with each AE release, and I'm constantly enableling it). I'm not sure if anyone from Adobe will see this, but please for the love of your users do something about this. Maybe instead of focusing so highly on new "bells & whistles" to obtain those precious new customers, get your software to run smoothly and properly. I feel like I'm working on a 15 year old version of AE when I navigate things in the timeline. 

my issue here 

Win 11 (10.0.22621 build 22621

Core i9-12900K

Asus Pro Art Z690 Creator 

Nvidia 3080 ti (528.02 driver)

128 GB Ram

Samsung NVMe drives (one for OS, one set for cache, one for media)

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the exact same problem on a 6700k and 1070 with 32gb of RAM on windows 10.

It does that because the program chokes on needing to re-render every fram as you're scrubbing it, trying to get it right.
Sadly, no amount of RAM, CPU, and especially not GPU will make the program run faster. If you ran it on a NASA supercomputer, it would not be all that impressive, I would think. From what I can tell, the UI, caching, and rendering all primarily happen on a single thread, maybe two- so it simply can't go faster, unless your cores can calculate them in fewer operations, or complete the operations faster. While rendering does happen on every core, every core is literally thrown an entire frame. I would personally love to see UI and caching get their own cores, but no luck, they both get to share the bunk with a rendering frame. the most immediate one, too, in most cases, so the next frame is also delayed by UI and pulling frames from disk and figuring out where to put it in RAM.

also, careful about complaining about bells and whistles. They deleted the uservoice forum because too many people were asking them to stop making little useless features to please the shareholders and it escaped onto youtube and other forums after the devs started making condescending remarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the feedback! Interesting about the constant caching as I was somehwhat thinking about that too. It's just really sad that here we are in 2023 and the software runs like this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines