Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 

Intel i9-12900 cpu 16 core

96gb ram

1tb ssd dedicated

3060 gpa 12 gb

after effects runs slow when rotobrushing.  Is there anything that can be done?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's "slow"? The Rotobrush itself being an analytic tool that will always process extra frames around the ones you are painting on will inevitably cause some slowness and of course complex shots may take longer just like there is naturally a difference between a HD project and one in 4k. The rest is probably a matter of perception, but you really have to be much more specific about what you think should happen vs. what's actually happening plus provide info about the project, screenshots etc.. Just throwing around generic statements about a tool not meeting your performance expectations isn't useful in any way.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

General is a very useful statement. Don’t get so offended. I’m trying to see if my specs are good enough to run the program at 4K clips. I realize it takes time to render but if there is a faster upgrade or anything to make it quicker. It’s a good program and I would love to use it more, I just want to get the most out of it.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you update your graphic card driver and delete the files in the cache disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have the latest driver and I am keeping the cache deleted regularly. It may be I guess that the work load is too much for any system. But if getting 100 core dual processor would be best I would try and find that lol.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These processes are strictly linear, so the exact opposite is true. Instead of getting moire cores you would reduce the number of cores and get the processor with the highest clock speed to increase per-core efficiency. At this point, though, it's unlikely you will see any significant boosts. Again, simply not how AE works and for that matter the specific code in Rotobrush.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was afraid of that. Still worth it Thanks for the response 😁👍

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay, let's get this out of the way-
After effects is 30 years old this year. it was made before cores were common, it was made before GPU's were a thing, and it was made when 2gb of RAM was huge.

you're trying to run it on 16 cores, with 32 threads. Most of AE runs on 1 core, and 1 thread. this means you're already cutting performance to a fraction of what it should be (good luck getting a modern 2-4 core CPU with the same power as that one though.)
GPU's?... well... let's just say adobe is still figuring them out. 

you have enough RAM! good on you. most people here get an 8-16gb mac you can't upgrade because it claims being a creator platform. you should have no trouble storing the previews that take ages to render

rotobrush is a very slow process. AE is slow, but even resolve has issues with the stuff. It is truly the only part of AE which is slow for an acceptable reason- that it's not only figuring out outlines, but calculating how confident it is in each pixel, and even calculating what colors in each pixel need to be selected and how wide an "edge" should be. in anything above 1080p that's gonna be a crawl. basically, you want maybe two huge cores in your CPU. That's the only real fix I think... well that and nagging adobe to develop that instead of colored keyframes and UI element outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well put    Thanks for the reply.   I did jump up my ssd to a WD black 850  and have noticed better speeds  and in the future I'll try and make better backgrounds to rotoscope off of.  Cheers 

and I'll be sending messages to Adobe on the Reg!  😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've gotten around it by using resolve's auto-rotoscope. it works wonders- I think it's AI- based. in any case it even handles screen edges and so on. I just export the mask and use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines