• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop AE from stretching shapes symmetrically

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever i want to stretch a shape (just by pulling the box) AE does it symmetrically around the center. I understand that if i move the anchor point to an edge this wont happen, but i need it in the center for doing rotations and more. I just want an option like in AI where i press Ctrl or Shift to change how it scales. How do i do this??

Regards,
Mikkel.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the layer's scale property. Unlink the horizontal & vertical values.  Scrub the horizontal value only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave.

Thanks for the answer, but it does not seem to work, at least not for me. I've unlinked the scale, but regardless if i pull on the percentages or the shape it still scales symmetrically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you unlink H&V scale?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each Shape Layer Path has its own internalized set of Transform properties. Twirl down the Contents section to see the set of Transform properties. The Anchor Point for this set of Transform properties are independent of Layer > Transforms.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to find the properties in a shape layer that is not at the default value is to press the U key twice right after you create the layer. I do this almost every time, then type in the values I want for parametric shapes and zero out the transform shape properties to center up the anchor point in parametric shapes. As long as the link is broken you can individually drag either the X or the Y value to change a parametric shape. You can also grab any corner and scale to any aspect ratio you like. The Shift key + click and drag constrains proportions, the Alt/Option key duplicates a shape if you click and drag, otherwise, a parametric shape layer uniformly transforms around the anchor point if you click and drag. You cannot click and drag in the comp panel and change the size of a parametric (rectangle for example) shape, you have to do that by clicking and dragging or typing values in the Shape>Size property in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution:

If you create a Null layer, position it at the point you would like to anchor from, parent your shape to the null and scale the null, then your shape will transform as if the anchor was positioned where the null sits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarloos,

Did the suggestions given above help at all?

Let us know.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this is what you're looking for. Had the same problem. Still a bit weird to do it even this way, but it's something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG9z05U05I4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines