• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly unable to move path handles of Mask Path

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been editing the position of a simple rectangular Mask Path within a Mask object. Select handles, move them to new locations, set a keyframe, repeat. It was working fine for several keyframes, then something changed.

I am now able to select and deselect the handles, but they will not move with either the mouse or arrow keys. Both methods were working fine previously. I cannot edit keyframes I already created. I can't detect anything that is different in the UI.

Is there a lock setting? Did I click a button or hit a key command that disabled editing? If I create a new object, its handles can be moved as usual, but not the existing rectangle.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

A mask can be locked in AE. A layer too can be locked. However, if a layer is locked, you will not be able to select the layer or any of its control points in the Comp Panel and you will not be able to change any of its properties in the Timeline. If a mask is locked, you will not be able to see it's vertices.

The only plausible explanation is you have created an Expression to link this Mask's Path to another Mask Path AND you've also linked their Transform properties. This seems unlikely.

I can

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you inadvertently make a new mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mask can be locked in AE. A layer too can be locked. However, if a layer is locked, you will not be able to select the layer or any of its control points in the Comp Panel and you will not be able to change any of its properties in the Timeline. If a mask is locked, you will not be able to see it's vertices.

The only plausible explanation is you have created an Expression to link this Mask's Path to another Mask Path AND you've also linked their Transform properties. This seems unlikely.

I can only suggest that you start anew instead of trying to fix this issue - sometimes, it's better to start from scratch instead of trying to solve strange, out of this world issues.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the approach I took -- reverted to a previous file and started over. The problem did not recur. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hit f4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is the same issue that brought me here, but: Instead of selecting, e.g., [Layer] > Masks > Mask 1, go back a level and select [Layer] > Masks

For whatever reason, this changes the state of the mask vertices from "joined" (square) to editable (round). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is what worked for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines