• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

the Expressions

Explorer ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do i need to learn how to use javascript which is used in front end development, for writing expressions of it in after effects

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects expression engine is based on Javascript, but there are some minor differences. You can't include jQuery for instance.  I'm a front-end developer in my day job and to be honest I don't think you need to become one to use AE, it's just that if you know how to code in Javascript a little, then it helps.

For instance, if you want to break up a word and make changes to each letter, then something like:

var word = text.sourceText.split('');
for (var i = 0; i< word.length; i++) {
var letter = word[i]
// do something
}

Will help, but then again Javascript does not have wiggle(), time or linear() - so approaching AE as a pure front-end dev might not help.  The major benefit to AE using Javascript is that you can often find solutions on Stack Overflow 😄

TL:DR

Not really, but it doesn't hurt to know a bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the whole😅

please tell me like why there is a need of making expressions in after effects 

when a lot can be done without them 

and in which cases there will be a requirement of expressions 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use expressions for two things:

• to calculate numbers for me, so that I can convert 2D effects into 3D ones, without having lots of keyframes
  • to create randomness 

Others on here will talk about using expressions to automate elements so you don't have to, which is a valid use, but you can still use After Effects very well without a single expression

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou a lot 

my most basic queries regarding the expressions got resolved today 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some basic examples are if you want to create a counter or time, or maybe you want to animate some infographics graphs so instate of animating the graph each time you can use the expression. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines