Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Time remap and trimmed layer

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just want to extract a small part of a video, and then adjust the timing to slow down/ accelerate the playback by using time remap.

This does not work at all as I expected.

First i just trim the layer, 

cap1.PNG

Then i precomp to adjust the timing only  there.

cap3.PNG

and finally i apply time remap. The key frames are at the right plce. But I dont know why, the layer is extended of the length of the underliying layer before trimming.. that does not make a lot of sense. am i missing something? I have to trim again the part after the second key frame

cap4.PNG

If anyone has any idea of the proper way to time remap just a small part of a clip... 

Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

It's a little difficult to wrap your head around Time Remapping. If you want to slow down a layer to half speed, so a 2-second shot now takes 4 seconds, you need to trim the layer to two seconds, pre-compose, then apply Time Remapping to the layer. AE will automatically extend the out point of the time-remapped layer because it doesn't know if you want to speed up the layer or slow it down. 

Time Remapping puts the last keyframe after the last frame. Keyframes are usually applied at the start

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time Remapping extends the layer so that you can move the time keyframes and the video will stretch. You can still trim the video to where you want it to stop.  If it didn't extend the clip, you'd only be able to slow the video down for the duration of original length, which could cause a lot of issues.

You also don't need to precomp a clip to time remap it - you could have done the following:

• On your layer, before trimming, add Time Remapping
  • Set and adjust the time keyframes as you wish
  • Trim your clip at the keyframes.

In short, it's working as expected and there's nothing stopping you trimming the layer back to where you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree that i could do  the time remapping before the trimming, setting key frames where i want and trimming at those key frames. however i need to precomp to be sure that when i move the key frame and extend the length i dont want to use the frames that were trimmed...

but i dont agree that it didnt extend the clip i would only be able to slow down the clip. This is incorrect. you can always extend the clip duration  and move the key frames. there is no consistancy in this behaviour, it s not what woudl be expected since only the duration after the second key frame is extend not before my first key frame.

but yes, i can trim again at the key frame i already trimmed once. It just make me twice the same operation for no reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little difficult to wrap your head around Time Remapping. If you want to slow down a layer to half speed, so a 2-second shot now takes 4 seconds, you need to trim the layer to two seconds, pre-compose, then apply Time Remapping to the layer. AE will automatically extend the out point of the time-remapped layer because it doesn't know if you want to speed up the layer or slow it down. 

Time Remapping puts the last keyframe after the last frame. Keyframes are usually applied at the start of a frame. The layer will be empty if you go to the last TR keyframe. If you want to adjust the layer's timing and hold the last frame, you will need to set a new keyframe at the start of the last frame, then delete the last one. 

Slowing down the layer means moving the last TR keyframe to the right, so the automatic extension is a time saver. If you drag the last keyframe to the left, you will speed up the clip, not show it down. Unless you add a new keyframe at the start of the last frame and remove the original last one, the pre-composed (nested) comp extended layer will not affect render time because there are no pixels after the original last keyframe. The only possible annoyance would be the lack of a visual representation of the end of the layer in the timeline.  

I hope that helps. I find it annoying if Time Remapping does not extend the out point of a nested comp. It just adds one more step before I make any time adjustments to the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this makes senses. Thank you for that detailed answer.

however i dont see why only one side is extended then. moving either left/right keyframe outside will slow down the clip, so they could either extend both side or none.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines