• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Time Remapping / slow down to speed up.

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Im making an edit on After Effects 2020, I wanted to slow down a certain small section of my footage (2-3 seconds) and then have it speed up. I understand what graph editor is and how it works but when ever i enable time remapping and set my keyframes at the start of the 2 second clip and put it at the end and delete the leftover ones. I go to graph editor and look at the graph and its so astronomically small. My cursor cant even reach it. Its not a software problem its just like such a small percentage. that if i do move the graph around it makes no difference. 

*SCREENSHOTS*

default2oddlbm0j6m4_0-1629787755718.png

Compared to other graph sizes, Time remap is that tiny tiny tiny one that is not even visible to the other ones. *BOTTOM PICTURE*

default2oddlbm0j6m4_1-1629787869251.png

Please help me!!!

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear what you are saying here. Simply use the auto-fit options from the buttons at the bottom of the GE and turn off the display of the other graphs.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to explore the view options of Graph Editor. You are seeing both time remapping and what looks like Position properties on another layer because of the way you have set up the view options. When I use Timeremapping I always set up the graph editor like this and use the Speed Graph. This screenshot shows a time remapped nested comp that plays at real-time (1 second per second) then slows down to about 30% speed starting at 8 seconds, then speeds up to real-time smoothly again at about 19 seconds. It is very easy to see what you are doing and read the speed changes accurately as well as keep playback in real-time when needed. Trying to use the Value Graph to edit time remapping is only valuable when you need to have a specific time in the video end up at a specific time in the comp, but most of the time I just look at the composition panel when I'm making that kind of timing adjustment.

Graph Editor Setup.png

Timing adjustments.png

 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey so i figured it out for one individual clip but the rest wont work. I get something looking like this. 

default2oddlbm0j6m4_0-1629824486782.png

What is that long purple time remap bar there for? When ever i do make a ramp and make a smooth parabola it just freezes and skips like 10 frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two timelines selected and you are using the Value Graph. There is no part of either layer that is playing at a constant speed. One layer has 3 keyframes and the video slowly decelerates until it almost freezes, then accelerates after keyframe 2 through keyframes 3 and 4, then slowly accelerates to the end of the timeline. There is no way to tell when or if the layer is ever playing in real-time. The steeper the line, the faster the playback, the flatter or more horizontal the line the slower the playback. There is no way of telling what real-time is in the Value Graph unless you memorize the angle of the line when you first enable time remapping and only have 2 keyframes. On the other hand, if the Value Graph shows 1 second/second, the video is playing in real-time. It is very easy to see what you are doing.

The second layer gradually accelerates until it freezes then plays backward for a few frames then accelerates again. This is the problem when you try and use the Value Graph with Time Remapping. 

I suggest that you start over and use the speed graph. You should also spend some time studying the Graph Editor in the User Guide. If you want to slow down a section of your video do that one layer at a time. Set keyframes where you want the slow down to start and where you want the slow down to end, then grab the last 2 keyframes and drag them to the left so the time between keyframe 2 and the rest of the keyframes becomes longer but the distance (time) between keyframe 1 and 2 and 3, and 4 stay the same. Then open the graph editor, right-click and select Edit Speed Graph and try and adjust the speed curves to get something like the curve I show in my screenshots.  Working with the Value graph is not going to get you what you have said you want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks, what i dont understand is on the first time remap i did to slow down something and then quickly resume it. It was one graph that was fine with no extra long purple graphs extruding off of it. 
How do i get it be like that exactly? Im going to retry it right now on a different project that is fully composed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have two lines because you have two layers selected. Select one and you have one line. The lines are as long as the timeline view is. You're still working with Value graphs and those are pretty useless when it comes to accurate time remapping and speed changes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines