Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline Completely Disappears

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For some reason when I open up a project, my timeline completely dissapears? 

It's not hiding or reduced in size, isn't available from the 'Window' menu, doesn't come back when I reset the workspace and doesn't re-appear when opening up a new comp? It completely vanishes.

The only way I can get it back is if I change the workspace to something like 'Learn', 'Libraries' or 'Paint'. Then if I save this as a new workspace - same thing happens next time I open up After Effects, gone again.

I've been into the Mac library to delete the workspace files to try get AE to rebuild but nope, does it again.

Any ideas?  A bug?

Many thanks,

Luke

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cropped screenshots are of no use to anyone. That and you haven't provided any info about what exact Mac you use, what version of Ae, what the projects contain, the actual workspace and screen layout and so on. You need to be much more specific and provide full screenshots actually illustrating the problem.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure Mylenium, screenshot attatched:

macOSX Monterey 12.3.1

MacBook Pro 16-inch 2021

M1 Max, 64GB

After Effects 22.2.1 (Build 3)

Project is using 4K Movs, master ProRes 4444 + offline LT.

Attatched is a screenshot of default workspace setting. If I click on any of the comps, it opens them and the main viewer changes - just the timeline doesn't appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details.

Looks like related to the workspace to me. If removing the workspace file manually didn't help, I'd recommend resetting the preferences of After Effects. Here's how: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-after...

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

Many thanks for your help - sadly the preference reset didn't solve it.

If there's no other quick fix, I'm guessing the next step is a fresh install of AE?

Thanks,

Luke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Timeline turned on in the Window menu?

timeline.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly doesn't even show up there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's unusual.

Are you using any third-party plug-in for After Effects? If so, try removing them. If not, try reinstalling After Effects.

Timeline should be there under the Window menu even if there is no composition.

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's really weird.  I was saw you'd replied, I had the idea that maybe it was a mutli-monitor glitch and AE was trying to force the timeline to display as an undocked panel somewhere you couldn't see it.  

As Nishu suggests, could there be a script, or plugin running

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines