Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Track matte unavailable

Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry if I am asking a silly question but I am attempting to get better by following some guides and tutorials. One thing that has been confusing me for quite a bit is there is a certain source that I cannot apply a track matte to. I will explain everything that I am doing as thoroughly as I can.

I am busy creating a 3d wall that is currently only made up of 2 sources.

The first source is made up of many rectangles that fade in at random times until they are fully white. I did this by making a line of rectangles that do this first, then expanded it vertically, and then expanded it further to fill the whole composition.

The second source only has text in it.

The problem is that I want to apply a track matte to the first source but there is no drop-down menu.

I am following a guide that I found here: http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/motion-graphics/lear-to-make-a-custom-3d-wall-text-reveal/ and the step I am having problems with is step 48.

I am using after effects cs6 on windows 7 (64bit)

Any help will be much appreciated.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

A track matte is always a layer above the layer it is assigend to. You are having a severe misunderstanding here. The option will become avialable as soon as you add a third layer on top. Rather than jumping off with tutorials showing stuff that you may not understand, perhaps read the help about som basics?! Just sayin'...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the bottomo left of ur AE interface...there are 3 toggle on/off switches...they are responsible for the properties of each layer u see in the timeline. Click the one regarding the matte properties and there u go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I do understand how to apply track matte but there is no option to do it for that layer. Here is a picture that will maybe make it more clear what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/ommrc.jpg

As you can see there is an option to add track matte to "element" but not for "fields big"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A track matte is always a layer above the layer it is assigend to. You are having a severe misunderstanding here. The option will become avialable as soon as you add a third layer on top. Rather than jumping off with tutorials showing stuff that you may not understand, perhaps read the help about som basics?! Just sayin'...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I see what I did wrong now. I have tried some basic tutorials, however this one is a lot more complex than those. I'm working on trying to understand what they are doing in this one and have already learnt some very useful stuff but you are right. I still have a lot to learn. I will continue to work my way down the list of basic tutorials I have found. Thanks a lot for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried some basic tutorials, however this one is a lot more complex than those...I will continue to work my way down the list of basic tutorials I have found...

And the first place to stop would be here

It's a solid, take-it-to-the-bank compilation of Basic AE knowledge, from the guy who literally writes the AE Manual.  Can't do much better than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The important thing is that the Adobe community members find a safe place to be condescending, instead of merely helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rather than giving unhelpful feedback, perhaps learning some basic manners? "just sayin"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you fella, save my entire night o' study.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was very helpful, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dude, been looking for this!  Gosh, hard to find.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

krstrobe wrote:

dude, been looking for this!  Gosh, hard to find.  Thanks!

If you missed this, there's probably a lot of other things you're missing too! I'd highly recommend going through something like this first: Getting started with After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You MR.Trazaman

Your trick works for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for being actually helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. you are a savior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can see the "Renderer:" from the composition panel, change it to Classic 3D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love you for the rest of my life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Track Matte section at all in my program. How do I get this to show up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the very top of the timeline.  Right-click on the Layer Name column to reveal column selections.  Pick Modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I was looking for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if you might be able to help me out with an After Affects problem with Track Matte.Track Matte Problems.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This dropdown box is coming down but it has some strange items in it and track matte is not one of those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this! is what I'm stuck on, normally I have the shape layer and the text or image I want to reveal below and that drop down menu no longer has alpha trackmatte on it??

did you ever figure it out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaultfez57wxuwu54 and @jenniferb91418180,

Thank you for taking the time to post about this issue. Layers can now use any other layer in the composition as a Track Matte, not just the layer above, so the checkbox has been replaced with a layer picker. Discussion on this new feature is here:https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/feature-focus-selectable-track-matte-l...

Cheers,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair, i've spent about 20 hours on Adobe learning the basics of AE tutorials and just ran into the same problem. While they sometimes do a good job of explaining what things actually do in AE, that is not always the case. At least the original poster is asking questions and not quitting or faking it bc they don't want to admit they don't know something!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines