Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tracking a traveling out of a device screen

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys. 

I'll be working on vfx for a commercial next week, using After Effects and Mocha.

The storyboard is quite classical: a picture is fitting the frame, there is traveling out, we discover that that picture is played in a IPad, we continue to travel out, we discover that someone is holding the IPad, the camera pans, we loose the IPad and we end on a wide shot of the room where the character is watching his movie.

I'll use an app like Tracking Marker or Chromascreen to play a "dark" green key with tracking point on the display.

My concern here is: do you think that the DOP should begin the shot INSIDE the device (meaning loosing the borders of the IPad) or should he begin wide enough to keep the entire device visible (in that case, because it is 4K, I'll zoom a bit in post)

I know that the beginning of the traveling is always a bit shaggy or, best case scenario, similar to an "ease out" interpolation. And I know I'll have to "smooth" it to fit it to the zoom out of the movie played inside the device.

So I wondered if a technique is better than an other.

Thank you very much for your advices 

Marc De Coster

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on how many markers those apps produce, but generally they are too few and a custom image works better. Masking is easier than trying to fix a jittery track. The zoom and pan would depend on how much other usable stuff is there. It may help to place a few extra markers (tape or dots) in places where they can easily be removed, including perhaps on the pad's frame. That's not so much about getting more automated tracking, but rather reference for massaging your keyframes later on. Spatial awareness issues combined with lens distortions can be pretty nasty. Cropping a larger shot would of course be preferable, though depending on teh actual situation it may not necessarily save much time and effort.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. With your answer and Rick's one, I'm confident, it will be OK 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last thing I. would do would be to add a green screen to the iPad. Design the shot so there is little or no need to create a complex matte because your actor's hand is moving all around the screen. You need detail you can track. A grid pattern or a checkerboard would work just fine. If you need a few frames of roto just do it in Mocha instead of trying to poke a hole in the screen of the iPad. Something like this would work just fine. Just don't make the screen so bright that the colors are projected on the other elements in the screen. 

gilmorish_zigzag_cloud_pattern-864

Any textured surface that Mocha can easily track will do. When the shot gets wide enough you can just expand the track to include the entire iPad. Surfaces with just a few geometric markers on a featureless background do not supply enough detail for Mocha to get a good track. Mocha is looking for patterns in the details, not a couple of small markers.

Shoot some test footage. Just shoot it with your Phone, bring the shot into AE and run some test tracks using Mocha. You'll figure out what is needed very quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. All of this seems quite logical 🙂 I have several adds to deal with though, and the characters won't do the same actions in each one. In one of them he keeps his hand in front of the screen all the time. For this one, I'll have to deal with the green key, it would be a lot of rotoscope. I guess I'll adapt the technique to every situation, and prepare several background.

Thanx a lot for your advice

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines