• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trim layer to last keyframe

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a script that finds the last keyframe on selected layers (for various properties) and then cuts the clip at the last keyframe's time. How would I go about doing this? I'm just starting out scripting so I'm not sure if this is even feasible. Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Hi filkinsteez,

the code below should work (havent tested much).

If you are really starting from 0, it might not be easy to understand, but it can give you something to start with.

The difficulty in your problem is to tell the script to visit every property with keys on a layer. This is what the aux function does in the code below.

// aux function to find 1st and last key times on a layer

// group: a property group

// keyTimes : [current first key time, current last key time]

function refineKeyTime

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is feasible. For each property you want to consider, check how many keyframes it has with the property's numKeys attribute. Then get the time of the last one with keyTime() method of the property to get its time.

If you are just getting started with scripting, a good way to learn all this is the (paid) course that I am currently doing at FXPhd:
Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Mathias! This project was actually inspired by your talk from AVW, so I'll definitely be checking out your course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi filkinsteez,

the code below should work (havent tested much).

If you are really starting from 0, it might not be easy to understand, but it can give you something to start with.

The difficulty in your problem is to tell the script to visit every property with keys on a layer. This is what the aux function does in the code below.

// aux function to find 1st and last key times on a layer

// group: a property group

// keyTimes : [current first key time, current last key time]

function refineKeyTimes(group, keyTimes){

var n, N=group.numProperties, p;

for (n=1; n<=N; n++){

p=group.property(n);

if (p instanceof Property){

if (p.numKeys>0){

keyTimes[0] = Math.min(keyTimes[0], p.keyTime(1));

keyTimes[1] = Math.max(keyTimes[1], p.keyTime(p.numKeys));

};

}

else{

refineKeyTimes(p, keyTimes);

};

};

return;

};

// main function

function f(){

var comp = app.project.activeItem;

if (comp==null || comp.typeName!=="Composition" || comp.selectedLayers.length===0) return; // wrong selection

var sel = comp.selectedLayers;

var n, N=sel.length, layer;

var keyTimes;

for (n=0; n<N; n++){

// start with times that will be overwritten for sure when a key is found

layer = sel;

keyTimes= [+1000000, -1000000];

refineKeyTimes(layer, keyTimes);

// trim if a key was found

if (keyTimes[1]>-1000000){

// found a key

if (keyTimes[1]<layer.outPoint){

// trim

layer.outPoint = keyTimes[1] + comp.frameDuration;

};

};

};

return;

};

f();

Xavier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Xavier,

Trying to use this script but havent been able to get it to work. Could you maybe guide me on how to correctly install this?

I created a new .jsx file and added it to my ScriptUI Panel folder. When I select the script though I get an error "Adobe effects warning: error reading past end of file" Could you maybe please help me? Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the reply! I tested this out and it does exactly what I was looking for. I'm relatively new to scripting so some things are a little foreign to me, but am going to try and go through it as best as I can. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Filkin,

Trying to use this script but havent been able to get it to work. Could you maybe guide me on how to correctly install this?

I created a new .jsx file and added it to my ScriptUI Panel folder. When I select the script though I get an error "Adobe effects warning: error reading past end of file" Could you maybe please help me? Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines