• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble Turning illustrator files into shapes into Adobe after Effects without massive box

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am wondering why when I upload a adobe illustrator file with about 20+ layers, when I turn them into shape layers in adobe after effects, the layers are there and transform to shapes however thier anchor point is not in the centre of the illustration and the whole illustration is in a massive box the size of the adobe illustrator files artboard. It makes it really hard to wrok with. Doesnt happen with smaller adobe illustrator files with less layers??

TOPICS
FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem is the AI file or the workflow, not After Effects. Importing as a composition gives you a comp size that matches the artboard. Retaining layer size when importing gives you anchor points in the center of all of the elements on each layer in the original artwork. If you do not select Retain layer Size, then the anchor point is in the comp center. 

The cropped and uploaded instead of embedded* screenshot does not show us anything about your AI file or tell us anything about the project. If the result of importing as a composition did not give you the comp size you were expecting or the anchor point of the imported layers does not line up the way you expect, the artwork was not properly prepared for video. The first thing I always do with an AI file that does not behave as expected is open the file in Illustrator and check it out. In every case, the artwork was not properly prepared for video.

I also have to ask; why you are converting vector layers to shape layers? There are only three reasons to do so. One is that you need to animate the vector path. Another is that you need to use some of the shape layer animators. The third is that you need to enable the C4D rendering engine or Export a C4D file to extrude a 3D version of the layer. If you are not using any of those workflows converting vector layers to shape layers will only increase render times, limit the ability to use gradients, strokes, brushes, and a bunch of other tools available in Illustrator, and waste time.

If you can't figure it out, embed* a screenshot that has the original Composition created by importing the AI file selected in the Project Panel so we can see the comp settings and show us some problem layers with the modified properties of the problem layers revealed. Do that by selecting the layers and pressing the 'u' key twice. Then maybe we can help you. 

* The "Drag & Drop here..." area is buggy and should not be used to share images. Please use the toolbar or just drag your images to the reply field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines