• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to select vertext of shape path in multi-layer shape

Participant ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using multiple shapes inside a shape layer, and each shape has a trim path assigned to it. I am trying to move one of the shape path's vertices, but the answer provided here:

Move vertexes of a mask around

doesn't work in this case.

Here is the shape layer set-up:

Here is the way it looks in the composition layer with "Path 1" selected in the timeline layer:

And here is the way it looks when I click the vertex:

The bounding box appears, and all the vertices are selected, but I can only move the shape as a whole and not by individual vertices. It is the same whether I shift-click or just regular click.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be using the pen tool (g) and the Alt/Option, Ctrl/Cmnd modifier keys. Maybe this will help:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the paths and vertices in this case are not behaving the same as the usual mask paths in your video - as noted in the link, where the usual solution does not work.

For clarification, the short vertical bar is on the sublayer Shape 4 inside the layer line:

The long, bent line that has a vertex I want to edit is on sublayer Shape 1 inside the layer line:

here is Shape 1, Path 1 when highlighted - the layer bar is also highlighted here:

Here is Shape 1, Path 1 when selected using the selection tool:

In this case, the pen (G) tool does not turn into a selection tool when moused over the vertex. It will, however, turn into a selection tool when moused over the vertex of the vertical path next to the stroked vertex. When using the selection (V) tool, all of the vertices of the stroked line are selected, but cannot be selected individually. Both are inside layer 13 - line, but only the short vertical path can be edited. The stroked path can only be moved as a whole.

Are the Trim Paths in any way affecting the vertices?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select the path in the timeline, use the pen tool and the modifier keys, and pay attention to what the cursor looks like the editing behavior is identical. The usual culprit is in experience and improper workflow.

I run into this all the time with students.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am also having this issue. driving me crazy. It's like it just CHANGED. i USED to be able to create a shape layer, make a rectangle, convert to path and then select individual points.

now i can't. and i have no idea what changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to create an entirely new shape layer, create a new rectangle and convert to a path. 

that worked.

i have no idea why my previous shape layer would not allow me to select the vertex points of the path, but creating a brand new one worked. :shrug:?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was having same issue with another layer and noticed it was parented to another shape layer. disabled the parenting and i was able to select the vertices. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

Make sure you don't have keyframes in your layers general scale property.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I was having a hard time myself with or without the pen tool (never user the pen tool to edit a path, always the shift+selection tool combo) when I figured out my own problem. I gave a closer look to your post and I think we actually shared the same problem...which is we have an expression on the shape's path we're trying to edit.
It makes sense as if you're getting your path from another source you should not be able to modify it on the fly.
I realized what I was doing wrong and immediately resolved by going to my "source path" and editing that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude! You have saved the day! The only, the one correct answer! I have no idea why there was an expression there, but I just disabled the "=" icon and voilá, vortex/nodes selectable again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bro you are jesus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines