• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use a second slider control to manipulate the impact of the first slider control

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, I hope this is possible. And I hope I can explain it well.

Or maybe I'm stuck in a thought loop and someone can help me come up with something better.

Here's the thing:

I have a few layers that use an effect to create waves (it's called Tilda, but that's not important).

On top of those layers, I put an adjustment layer with a slider control, linked all the 'wave height' properties of each layer to it, and created some keyframes on that slider control to make the waves bigger and smaller. I've looped those keyframes using the loopOut() expression.

So far so good. Waves are going up and down until the end of time.

Now, I want the effect of that slider control to grow over time / I want the waves to become bigger and bigger. At first I want it to have no effect, at the end it should be at 100%.

Can I use a second slider control to manipulate the impact of the first slider control?

I hope anyone remotely understands what I'm trying to do here.

Thanks a million in advance.

Cheers,

Joost

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Something like this should probably work:

s1 = thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Wave Height")("Slider");
s2 = thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Amplitude")("Slider");
s1*s2/100;

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like this should probably work:

s1 = thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Wave Height")("Slider");
s2 = thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Amplitude")("Slider");
s1*s2/100;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dan, thanks for your super quick reply!

I think I understand what you're doing, and I'm glad it's possible.

I just don't know yet where to put it exactly and what to call everything. If I just put your expression in, I get a few errors.

If you have a quick look at this screenshot, can you tell me more precisely what needs to be done?

I would be super grateful!

Good day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the name of your slider to "Wave Height" and add your second slider named "Amplitude" (or change the names in the expression to match whatever your slider names are).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, of course! This does exactly what I needed. Thanks again, people like you make the internet a better place! (Now if only AE would become only slightly more user friendly, maybe introducing behaviours like every other major animation software, designers wouldn't have to understand code like it's 1990...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines