• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Mir to create single drop ripple? As in, not multiple ripples

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mir is a little beyond my abilities, but I can follow along a tutorial. However, I can’t seem to find a tutorial specific to my need.

I have footage of a lake and a CGI boat on it. We composited in an explosion to simulate the boat blowing up. What I’d like to do is create what would amount to a single (very large!) drop onto the surface of water to make a simulated shock wave eminate from the boat area.

This seems like it would be pretty basic and easy, but all I’m finding are tutorials on looping Mir effects (like the surface of an ocean). How do I use Mir to create a displacement map that only has one ripple?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is nothing you can do in vanilla MIR. The trick really is just to dial down all the internal noise functions and create a completely custom displacement map in a pre-composition, which in this case could be done with the Radio Waves effect and whatever other stuff you fancy. That being said, you probably don't need any of this and could create your boat's wake entirely by faking it in 2D with more control. Anyway, impossible to say without an actual reference frame/ screenshot, of course.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply, firstly. Attached is a screen shot.

The problem is radio waves and other effects I've tried are all 2D and don't render properly if I pre-comp and use that in 3D and rotate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines