• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very slow RAM preview

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I’m editing some camera footage and ram preview is very slow.

The footage is 4k 10bit, H.265. Recorded with Fuji camera. high bit rate recording.

I have 64GB ram. I checked Ram usage and its sitting at 97%  

Do i need more ram? or can i lower its ram usage with AE?  

Thank you

TOPICS
Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any actual info about your system, cache settings, preview settings, options for hardware acceleration and multiframe rendering and all that jazz we can't really tell you much. To me this simply sounds like a leaky graphics driver messing thinsg up and/ or the footage being encoded in an unusual/ odd way so AE struggles with decoding it. At least in the latter case you can try to transcode it in Handbrake and similar tools just like of course you can update your graphics driver and all the relevant settings I mentioned. For anything else more specific info is required.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I thought because my RAM is maxing out at 97% and pugetsystems.com recommends min 128GB ram for 4k footage editing. I should just upgrade my ram as quick fix?

System specs

2070 Super

Ryzen 7 5800X

64GB RAM

SSD M2 Drives

I did notice my CPU can hit 99 percent in task manger too

I have disk caches set to 200GB on separate 500GB drive

The footage is encoded with H265 10Bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RAM usage in AE is seriously overstated and 64 GB is plenty. Yes, there's always a minimum that will be required for AE to breateh, but you're far from suffocating it, either. And lest we forget: puget Systems still sell computers, even if I wouldn't attest them shady motives. 😉 Your excessive CPU usage furthers my suspicions that this is a leak/ bug in the H.265 processing, so I can only repeat my advice: Try to transcode  at least a short clip for testing purposes in Handbrake or whatever tool may have come with your camera and see if it makes a difference.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines