• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Warning About Naming your folders in AE - Mac VS PC

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, first-time poster. Wanted to share an issue I ran into with After Effects in case anyone else has run into this, or I'm totally overlooking something, or I've gone completely bonkers.

Was attempting to transfer an AE project (using latest version) from Mac to Windows platform. After collecting files and transferring via FTP, I'd open on Windows and, upon opening in AE, a myriad of assets would show up missing. I thought I was doing something wrong with "Collect Files." However I traced the missing files all to one folder within (Footage) that had disappeared (kinda). The folder was there when I unzipped on the Mac, but not when I unzipped on the PC. This folder name in the AE project started with an asterisk (*) and, after doing some tests, I realized any folders with a * at their front would just not show up on the Windows platform. I removed the * and the folder showed up fine, all assets found.

I was aware Windows had stricter naming guidelines than Mac but I was taken off guard by this one! This is really an issue with Windows, not After Effects, but I wanted to share this in case it helps anyone. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, this gets a lot of people because Windows has a lot more reserved special characters, and for good reason. It's good practice to avoid naming your files or folders with the many of the special characters you'd have to hold "Shift" key to generate. To counter that point, parenthesis and underscores are ok, but others can cause the problems you described. 

If you're interested in learning a bit more, this Wikipedia page explains why certain characters, such as the asterisk, are reserved: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename#Reserved_characters_and_words

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines