• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the easiest way to make curved grid like this in 3D.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opera Snapshot_2022-04-01_175305_www.shutterstock.com.png

At first I thought there was a way to curve a flat 3D layer only using AE but I couldn't find a way.
Now I think I'll do it just by using Maya. Do you know any other way?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a static view it could easily be re-created using shape layer paths and masiks with strokes, but of course if you need to swish around in 3D this would be a lot of extra work, so yes, doing it in Maya is perhaps a good idea unless you want to spend money on extra plug-ins or putting up with the mess that is the Cinema 4D renderer and import.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing it in Maya is the best way. After Effects is not very good at making these types of graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In 2007 I wrote an article on using displacement maps that were animated using point lights as a light source with positive and negative intensity values to get mirrored displacement from positive and negative red and green values created by the lights. The result looks like this:

RickGerard_0-1648926314703.gif

I have uploaded an updated project file for you to play with. This is what the Displacement Map comp looks like:

RickGerard_1-1648926700195.png

If you have a budget for a plugin, I suggest Freeform Pro from AE Scripts. You can even add Projection Mapping to a Freeform layer to distort any type of image. Here's an overview of the plugin:

I use both techniques. One is easier than the other for some designs. The other is more efficient for different scenarios. It all depends on the project. If I knew what you were trying to accomplish, I could give you some more efficient suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines