What is the name of this effect?

Engaged ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know if I could name it, I could find tutorials for it. I believe I've seen them before.

I want my text (or video) to act as a mask (matte?) on the layer below it. But I want the layer below it to still show through, but just with inverted colors. For instance, a chess board pattern in the background (black and white squares), with the large word CHESS over it. Inside the letters, you still see the squares but the black and white is reversed. Or if the background was red, it would show as green inside the letters, etc.

When I look this up, I'm using terms like "after effects color invert mask" but I keep getting info on just how to invert a mask, which is not what I need.

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I think I figured it out... if there's another way or a single effect that does this please let me know. But I ended up:

1. Putting the text over my footage

2. Duplicating the footage layer

3. Adding the Invert effect to the bottom footage layer

4. Setting the top footage layer (right under the text) to Alpha Inverted Matte.

Is that the way this is done, or an overcomplicated "workaround"?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a paid plug-in. This would be useful to your project. The trial edition is available.

https://borisfx.com/products/title-studio/?collection=continuum-premium-filters&product=continuum-fi...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got it working, so that's all that counts, but there is another way for the curious, I covered it in my Intersecting Shapes tutorial:

Spoiler:

Use white shapes on a white background and the Difference transfer mode.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to you both! @ToolfarmJP & @ShiveringCactus 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines