• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When adding an expression to the Source Text property of a Text Layer, the text auto right justifies

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says, when I add an expression to the source text it auto-right aligns itself and won't let me change it. It doesn't matter what the expression is, just altt+clicking the source text stopwatch is causing this. I have 6 text layers in my project, all with expression, but it's only happening on one of the text layers.

I found this closed forum about the exact same issue from 2 years ago but with no solution

Any help will be massively appreciated!

Thanks

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

In case anybody stumbles across this in the future, I found a fix! It's not the fix I would have liked and would very much would like this bug sorted.

All I did was make a new text layer and relink all my expressions to that new text layer... It's tedious but it worked so at least there's that

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your language settings? What fonts? Sounds more like an issue in the font engine. A screenshot might also help.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm writing in English using 'Montserrat' as my font and Javascript as my expression engine. I've attached 2 screenshots, they're a bit big though sorry as I'm working on 2 screens, there's one with an expression and one without.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anybody stumbles across this in the future, I found a fix! It's not the fix I would have liked and would very much would like this bug sorted.

All I did was make a new text layer and relink all my expressions to that new text layer... It's tedious but it worked so at least there's that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first screenshot shows the default text.sourceText expression you get when you add an expression to a text layer. This does nothing to the text layer, so the problem lies in another layer or property with another expression.

To figure things out, select all layers in your composition and press the "u" key twice to look for modified properties. Somewhere in the timeline, there is an expression that positions the text layer in relation to the background layer. Your problem has nothing to do with the expression you have shown us. A workflow description and an embedded instead of an attached screenshot (use the toolbar or drag to the reply field) would help us help you solve the problem.

This screenshot shows that nothing happens to a text layer when you create an expression with the default text.sourceText placeholder. You have actually to enter something to make the layer change position. 

RickGerard_0-1671190513884.gif

There is no style you can add to the Source Text property that will change the paragraph style in the text layer. There are the only style properties available. 

• Font
  • Font Size
  • Faux Bold
  • Faux Italics
  • All Caps
  • Small Caps
  • Tracking
  • Leading
  • Auto Leading
  • Baseline Shift
  • Fill (enable/disable)
  • Fill Color
  • Stroke (enable/disable)
  • Stroke Color
  • Stroke Width

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware that the expression shown was the default source text expression. My problem was that as soon as anything was added to the expression field for the source text property or I just alt+click the stopwatch, my text became right justified. It wasn't being affected by any other layer or expression (I tried deleting every layer except the one with the problem and it still had the same issue) and creating a brand new text layer and linking everything back together as it was with the original layer fixed it. So with that and the 2 year old post with the same issue, I've concluded that it's a bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce the bug. Never seen the bug. Maybe it is related to a font or something else related to that layer. If replacing the layer solves the problem, then something else is going on in the composition. "uu" is the only way I know of to try and chase down the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's the first time I've come across it and there is that 2 year old post with the same issue. I'm using the same font on all of my layers and it's only that one layer with the issue. My recreated layer is 100% identical to the first the only difference being I created it after the first. I have 2 compositions with one being a duplicate of another it must be a bug as it was all working fine up until I duplicated the comp and the original comps layer works fine. I did get the font I'm using wrong in an earlier reply, I'm not using "Montserrat" I'm using "Acumin Pro", the only thing I can think that may cause the bug is that I don't have the font installed I'm using Creative Cloud to use it in my project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines