• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When importing a project... sometimes all the parenting gets reset to "None"

Engaged ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered a bug where if you import a project that contains parented layers... those parents will suddenly be set to None. However, it only does if you previously imported 2 other projects. Here's an example:

Here's a title project I imported... notice the parenting seems fine.

Import1.PNG

And here's the same project imported a second time... it's parenting is also fine.

Import2.PNG

But now I import the exact same project a 3rd time and now the parent is set to none which completely messes up the project (none of the layers are where they should be):

Import3.PNG

I used the same project in my example, but it happens any any project I import on that 3rd time.

Anybody else notice this?

UPDATE: Make sure the null layer is the top layer. If the null layer you're parenting to is not the top layer, then the issue will happen on the 4th time you import, not the 3rd.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen that behavior and could not reproduce it with a simple comp that has 3 layers and a null. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 22.5 and tried it again and the same thing happened. Here's what I did:

• created a new 1920x1080 project with a null and 1 text layer
  • set the null as layer 1 and the text as layer 2
  • parent the text layer to the null
  • save the project
  • then import that project into itself 3 times
  • on the 3rd imported version the text layer will no longer be parented to the null
  • also the text will probably be shifted to the side of the screen

For some reason if the null is the second layer... then the issue will happen on the 4th time it's imported, not the 3rd. But as soon as the null is the top layer, then the issue happens on the 3rd import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for reporting this.

Which version of After Effects you're using? I am on After Effects 22.5 and I can reproduce the issue at my end.

Let me get back to you on this.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 22.5.0 (Build 53)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any expressions involved anywhere or effects that reference other layers in dropdowns? That would be the only times when I can rember something liek this happening because AE can't resolve some name conflicts and cyclic references.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes most of the layers contain an expression that references a color picker on the CONTROL layer. However, I did a test where I removed all the expressions but it didn't make a difference. Those layer still lose their parenting to the CONTROL layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in the same version of AE (22.5.0 (Build 53))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only solution was to downgrade After Effects back to 22.4 and the problem went away. Hopefully it'll be fixed in 22.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same problem here! - Version 22.5.0 (Build 53)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here - reeeaally annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been experiencing the same issue- same versiopn (22.5). The issue happened with multiple imported comps, of varing complexity, a lot of times with comps that have no null/control layers at all, simply one shape layer parented to another. Fingers crossed Adobe looks into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed in 22.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the heads up. I'll update now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines