• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When Rotating 3D Text, can I colour the back of the text differently from the front

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am rotating some text in a clip to add some comedic value, however I don't like the back of the text being the same colour as the front as it doesn't really look like it's rotating at a glance but instead changing shape, however if I was able to colour the back of the text to black for example, it would look more obvious it is spinning. Is there anyway to do this?

Thank you 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a simple example:

http://www.motionscript.com/design-guide/invisible-facing-away.html

Could be easily adapted to fit into a color property or you simply create two layers and change the vector to -1 on one of them.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you proposing that I should instead forge the effect myself using 2 identifcal layers? So I complete the spinning orientation and position path for the text in the keyframes, then once I'm happy with it, copy the layer and have one coloured black (or whichevery colour) and one set for the colour that I want on the front. Have the black text opacity set to 0% and the front coloured layer to 100%. Then when the front of the text is facing away from the camera during it's spinning and the back is now facing the camera, I cut the opacity of the front layer to 0%  and then have the black text layer restore to 100% on the keyframes, and vice versa when the front is facing the camera and the back is out of view?

(Please forgive me if I've misunderstood or poorly explained that, I've only been learning Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects for 6 months solid after using Sony for years) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The expression takes care of everything automatically. You don't have to pre-set anything manually other than creating the layers in two colors in the first place and positioning them in the scene and making them spin. That's the beauty of the expression. It simply looks at which direction the Z axis of your layer is pointing in relation to the camera and modulates the opacity value based on that (or a color, if you so choose).

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines