• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When video plays, After Effects freezes

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got After Effects 2020 and when I preview my comp, it will play, but AE will freeze. I can't stop it unless I force close it. I can also close the window and it will give me the option to save my changes or cancel. I can press cancel and it will stop playing, but when I play it again, it will do it all over again. I am working on a EVOO Ultra Thin (11.6).

These are my preview settings: 

image.jpg

Any solution you have will be helpful, thanks 🙂

TOPICS
Audio , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue. Tried all the stuff suggested on this thread, but nothing.

But, I've got a crazy workaround solution that keeps me from having to force quit each time. And yes, it's crazy. But it works. Here it is:

I set a hot spot for my screensaver; it triggers the screensaver when I push my mouse pointer into the top right corner of my screen. It takes my system a few seconds to unfreeze and start the screensaver, but when I ESC out of it, Afx has stopped playing. 

See? Crazy. But I'm not force quitting each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.. AE doesn't seem to have any problem scrolling through the frames, but when I hit play AE freezes as a whole. I hope there is a more stable solution for this.. I lost a lot of time already..  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I faced a slightly different problem. But I'm talking about this here thinking what if the solutions end up working because no one has a proper solution.

Every time I do a RAM preview the composition screen/preview freezes. I tried a lot of things. Working with smaller files thinking my laptop couldn't handle high quality video files. Did the purge thing several times. But nothing worked. 

So while I was looking around for a solution I came across another thread which said that my problem is caused because of some audio hardware settings. They said that if after effects is using else that you have plugged on instead of your default pc/laptop speakers, it causes this problem. And you had to select the default speakers in PREFERENCES > AUDIO HARDWARE. But this didn't work for me. This didn't make sense either because it worked fine using my Bluetooth speakers before.

I was thinking the few things that changed for me since my normally functioning after effects was that I got a windows 10 update and I installed the plug in ease copy. In the other thread someone said that sometimes windows updates causes audio driver conflict. Even if everything else is functioning normally this audio driver conflict might cause problems in AE. You might try uninstalling your plug ins. I didn't get a chance to do that yet. And I don't know what's the solution to the driver conflict. And I'm not sure of how to check if it has a driver conflict in the first place. Will let you know if that results in anything. 

Peace. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. This is EXACTLY why rental software is a huge liability in a professional environment. Unwanted updates introduces anomolies. $10k edit suites with pro hardware and drivers require a perfect coctail of versions and drivers to work. No pro shops upgrade anything if it works. We could care less about the latest preset because thats consumer marketing. One unwanted update and a required driver version later...you are down a day. Pay attention that not one Adobe support rep will help anyone in these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you already tried this, but I was struggling with the same problem. I found out it was my audio driver that wasn't working properly. I work on an external sound card. I reconnected it and for some reason, the problem dissolved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok so I dont have all the tehnical details behind this but my solution was to convert my video to a diferent format. The Preview in adobe after effects is still a player that is limited by codecs that can read the video so it can either be missing codecs, missmatch of frame rate( I converted my video with the 29.97 fps as I use in my AE project) and so on. So if its just one video giving you the problem try converting it to a diferent format with a stable fps if you want to completly fix the problem try to get the necesarry codecs for adobe preview to be able to play it. Hope this helped 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines